When to take DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vcru

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am applying this cycle. My cumulative gpa is 3.303 based on my school ranking system (they don't count in my courses abroad nor my summer classes which I took to go abroad orgo1 and 2) Using AMCAS calculator I have 3.39 cumulative and 3.47 bcpm. (not counting this semester which grades aren't out for but it should boost my sciences)

Now I am currently studying for the DAT intensely (reading AP BIO and Kaplan blue book and I will start destroyer, crack dat, topscore as soon as I finish books next week) as I was planning on taking it June 1.

However, after talking to my head of Pre-dental, he said the committee letter will most likely not be done until (hopefully) July (I am going to try to get them to do it sooner regardless). Now since the LOR won't be ready for June 1 anyways should I post pone the DAT maybe a week or two later to get in extra study or get it out of the way regardless?

I currently do not have any shadowing hours but am aiming for about 100 hours this summer. Also, my dentist will have a LOR ready for around June 1.

Members don't see this ad.

well just rem it takes 2-4 weeks for the DAT to eventually reach AADSAS and process. so plan accordingly. but yea, does not sound like a bad idea. make sure u give yourself enough time to adequately prepare for the DAT. getting ur app in early is important, doing well on the DAT is more important.

If you feel you are ready to take the DAT at the beginning of June, then go ahead and take it. Otherwise you can postpone it a couple more weeks and review/practice some more. Postponing it for this long isn't going to hurt your application in any significant way.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is exactly what I was thinking. I think I am freaking myself out more than anything. I will have a better grasp once I actually look at some problems and examples instead of just words on pages. Do you think I will be okay waiting another week or so to schedule or should I do it this week to ensure a good time and date?

That is exactly what I was thinking. I think I am freaking myself out more than anything. I will have a better grasp once I actually look at some problems and examples instead of just words on pages. Do you think I will be okay waiting another week or so to schedule or should I do it this week to ensure a good time and date?

Go ahead and schedule the date now, that way you'll have some sort of deadline and you can plan a study schedule. If you need to reschedule later, it's only a $10 fee if I remember correctly.

Hey guys I am applying this cycle. My cumulative gpa is 3.303 based on my school ranking system (they don't count in my courses abroad nor my summer classes which I took to go abroad orgo1 and 2) Using AMCAS calculator I have 3.39 cumulative and 3.47 bcpm. (not counting this semester which grades aren't out for but it should boost my sciences)

Now I am currently studying for the DAT intensely (reading AP BIO and Kaplan blue book and I will start destroyer, crack dat, topscore as soon as I finish books next week) as I was planning on taking it June 1.

However, after talking to my head of Pre-dental, he said the committee letter will most likely not be done until (hopefully) July (I am going to try to get them to do it sooner regardless). Now since the LOR won't be ready for June 1 anyways should I post pone the DAT maybe a week or two later to get in extra study or get it out of the way regardless?

I currently do not have any shadowing hours but am aiming for about 100 hours this summer. Also, my dentist will have a LOR ready for around June 1.

When they say "July"... Do they mean July 30th? or July 1st?

In either case, there is no benefit to taking the DAT in June 1st.... A more ideal situation (as bing suggested) is to have both the committee letter and DAT score arrive to AADSAS around the same time.

So if your letter will be ready by July 1st, taking the DAT in Mid-June is pretty ideal.

But if your letter will be ready around July 30th, taking the DAT Early-July is more appropriate timeline.

I scheduled for June 9 for now. The department chair told me to email him begining of June but I am going to email him probably a week before and make sure they have a meeting scheduled. He was very very vague and just seemed very nonchalant about the whole thing saying that it doesn't matter when it is in as long as its before the school year:mad:. I just told him that for my peace of mind, the earlier the better, and he said he will try for July. He did not specify whether it was early or late. So it's not the best situation and unfortunately not much I can do but just go with it.

I scheduled for June 9 for now. The department chair told me to email him begining of June but I am going to email him probably a week before and make sure they have a meeting scheduled. He was very very vague and just seemed very nonchalant about the whole thing saying that it doesn't matter when it is in as long as its before the school year:mad:. I just told him that for my peace of mind, the earlier the better, and he said he will try for July. He did not specify whether it was early or late. So it's not the best situation and unfortunately not much I can do but just go with it.

why am I getting this feeling that he isn't going to get it done till August :rolleyes:

Hopefully not or I will be a fairly unhappy camper! Like I said I am just going to send him emails until he decides to get it done in a timely manner!