When to take DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmF

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying to Dental School June 1st, 2012. However, I wont have time to study and take DAT's this semester so I want take the DAT's at the end of next semester (mid May). Say I took the test on May 15th, how long would it take for me to get my scores back so I can send it to schools on June 1st?

Also, do I have to send the score individually to each school? Any information on this topic at all will really help me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on applying to Dental School June 1st, 2012. However, I wont have time to study and take DAT's this semester so I want take the DAT's at the end of next semester (mid May). Say I took the test on May 15th, how long would it take for me to get my scores back so I can send it to schools on June 1st?

Also, do I have to send the score individually to each school? Any information on this topic at all will really help me. Thanks!

There are plenty of threads on this, so I would recommend the search function.

But in general, if you take it May 15th, you will get the scores immediately. ADA will send your scores to AADSAS within 3-4 weeks. AADSAS will get those scores, and automatically import them into your application. As of 2010 I believe, DATs are do not need to be sent individually, and scores are sent to AADSAS to be available for all schools (that participate in the AADSAS application)
Once you submit your AADSAS, give it another 3-4 weeks to process it and finally send it out.

I took the DAT on 6/24 and the scores were uploaded to AADSAS on 7/13, to give you a sense of how long it takes. Coincidentally, I believe the first mail out was also around 6/24 of this year. There should be no issue with you scores not making it in the first mail out.

When I signed up the take the DAT I designated every school in the US to receive my scores. It's a flat fee and it gave me the freedom to apply to any school I wanted to, without having to pay the extra $25 per school fee to have additional scores sent.

If you are confident that you will do well the first time, May should be fine. But realize that you need to wait 90 days before you can take it again. If you want to re-take the test, then the earliest time you can take the 2nd one would be late August to early September.