When to take MCAT and still be considered early/not late for the upcoming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snr1115

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was planning on taking the MCAT on January 14th but I think I'm better off studying and doing more practice questions longer. However, it's been difficult finding an alternative date to reschedule for between March and April. I was wondering, does anyone know when's the latest time to take the MCAT and still be considered early for the upcoming cycle? My city has available seats for May 12 but I don't know if that's too late.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you take a May 12 MCAT, your scores will be in around June 12. The application generally doesn't get processed by schools until later in June. It seems that AMCAS has gotten more considerate of early May test takers to make sure they don't get a timing disadvantage.

As gyngyn and hollow knightr say, you apply to one school to get your primary app in the system and hopefully near the front of the pile for verification. Early apps get verified rather quickly (relative term). Once you know your scores and are happy, then add schools to your application.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all for the feedback! It’s very helpful insight and I changed the date to May 12th now :)

I encourage Texas Applicants to turn in their primary applications by the end of June.
Your application can go through the verification process, which takes about a month, without an MCAT score.
This would get your primary app sent to all the Texas schools by early July.

BUT (didn't you know there was a "but" coming?)
Your MCAT score won't be known to you until July 16 and I advise you to KNOW what your score is before applying.

If you feel you need all the time to study and take the test in June, then work on your TMDSAS app and all your essays to get them ready as soon as you finish your test date. Get your score. Like it? Hit the submit button.
There is one extra step in applying on TMDSAS, and that's asking AAMC to RELEASE your scores to TMDSAS.
You do this on the same portal where you register for the MCAT.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I encourage Texas Applicants to turn in their primary applications by the end of June.
Your application can go through the verification process, which takes about a month, without an MCAT score.
This would get your primary app sent to all the Texas schools by early July.

BUT (didn't you know there was a "but" coming?)
Your MCAT score won't be known to you until July 16 and I advise you to KNOW what your score is before applying.

If you feel you need all the time to study and take the test in June, then work on your TMDSAS app and all your essays to get them ready as soon as you finish your test date. Get your score. Like it? Hit the submit button.
There is one extra step in applying on TMDSAS, and that's asking AAMC to RELEASE your scores to TMDSAS.
You do this on the same portal where you register for the MCAT.
Thank you greatly. I'll stick to my original plan of May 12th. Early bird catches the worm(Ii hope).

Reactions: 1 user