when to take mcat for post-bacc program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medanthgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I was hoping to apply for such post-bacc programs as Drexel, RFU, Loyola, and more informal ones at other places. I was planning and have been studying for the mcat this august, but i think i may have overcommitted this summer at work, stupidly took on a second part-time job, etc etc. my apt. is so dirty and i'm still only getting 2, maybe 3 hours of mcat study a night and on the weekends. is there anyway i can take it in april, or does that risk my chance at getting in to a post-bacc program? I do have a gre score from 4 years ago, pretty good scores. i'm looking at the program webpages trying to figure this out, but if anyone has any experience or knowledge it would be greatly appreciated!! :)

:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

medanthgirl said:
Hello there,

I was hoping to apply for such post-bacc programs as Drexel, RFU, Loyola, and more informal ones at other places. I was planning and have been studying for the mcat this august, but i think i may have overcommitted this summer at work, stupidly took on a second part-time job, etc etc. my apt. is so dirty and i'm still only getting 2, maybe 3 hours of mcat study a night and on the weekends. is there anyway i can take it in april, or does that risk my chance at getting in to a post-bacc program? I do have a gre score from 4 years ago, pretty good scores. i'm looking at the program webpages trying to figure this out, but if anyone has any experience or knowledge it would be greatly appreciated!! :)

:luck:

Most postbac programs don't expect you to have taken the MCAT, as most people are just taking or retaking the prereqs in the postbac and wouldn't be prepared yet. SMP programs might expect you to have MCAT scores though. You need to research each of the schools you are considering and see if the MCAT is required. But certainly if you haven't taken and done well in the prereqs, or if you are taking upper level sciences that will potentially help you on the MCAT, you should hold off, if it's not required for admission at your desired program.

Law2Doc said:
Most postbac programs don't expect you to have taken the MCAT, as most people are just taking or retaking the prereqs in the postbac and wouldn't be prepared yet. SMP programs might expect you to have MCAT scores though. You need to research each of the schools you are considering and see if the MCAT is required. But certainly if you haven't taken and done well in the prereqs, or if you are taking upper level sciences that will potentially help you on the MCAT, you should hold off, if it's not required for admission at your desired program.

yes, i was focusing on the SMP's for people that have already taken the basic requirements and need more hard sciences. is there anyone out there who didn't take the mcat until the april that they were applying for post-bacc admission?

thanks!

medanthgirl said:
yes, i was focusing on the SMP's for people that have already taken the basic requirements and need more hard sciences. is there anyone out there who didn't take the mcat until the april that they were applying for post-bacc admission?

thanks!

You don't technically need an MCAT score for an SMP (I know this applies to BU but am ignorant of the other SMP's). Check and see when your GRE scores expire and call the program to see if they'll accept them. Ideally, they'll take your GRE scores, and you won't have to take the MCAT until after the SMP (your Biology MCAT score will skyrocket after the SMP). If they don't accept your GRE scores, then the MCAT may be necessary. Considering that most SMP's operate on rolling admissions, you take a chance with a late MCAT score. Especially since some SMP's have early deadlines (I think Georgetown's is considerably earlier than BU's). I know a few people though (myself included) who applied during the summer and got in for the fall, so it's not impossible.