When to take NBME test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elektra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my friends

Im in the final preparation for step 2 CK
My average score is 61% in usmle world and 63% in Kaplan qbank. Im looking foward to score in the 90s
My question is when do u think should I take the nbme test to have enough time to reschedule? My exam date is april 12th....
Thanks in advance

:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

wow 2 days ...............no replies at all.............:(

To be honest, I'm not sure you should use the NBME exams as a basis on whether or not to reschedule. They tend to fluctuate widely in how accurate they are in prediciting scores. You might want to take a test or two to see where you are weak. I would not postpone the test unless you do really poorly, as in failing (esp by a 10+ point margin). The NBME tests tend to underpredict scores on the low end (quite heavily, in some cases), so it's not necessary to place too much emphasis on it. Maybe you can plug your scores into the predictor to see where you stand. Based on the numbers you mentioned, though, it seems as though you're still a good bit away from scoring in the 90s (at least from the Kaplan numbers). The USMLE numbers looked better, but it's not something to take as gospel. Good luck!

http://www.medfriends.org/step2_estimator/index.htm

Thank you so much for your time
Im going to take the advice and Take the nbme test and see how it goes...
Wish me luck
and thanks again
:clap:

I never took the NBME tests at all, but I went through about half of USMLE world and got about 60-65% the first time through, which is similar to you. I scored in the 90's.
So I think you are probably fine. Especially if you scored in the 90's on Step 1. That's probably the best predictor.
(I also read First Aid and skimmed Crush.)

Good luck!