When to take nuc/echo/CT boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blahblah56

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm gonna do gen cards and starting to plan out when I want to take boards, looking to take nuc, echo, and CT. Do most people take these during third year of fellowship? Or is it better to wait until after graduation and general boards. I've also heard of some jobs that help pay for boards, is this common?
 
I personally delayed nuke and CT boards for after graduation. Didn't have enough time to prepare based on rotations and studying for echo boards.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
80% of fellows at my program take echo board beginning of 3rd year and Nuclear right after.

Not everyone takes CT as we do not get as many numbers especially with recently changed requirement. But, can be done if you stretch yourselves
 
any advantage to taking it beginning of third year versus after third year? Is it mainly to avoid taking it around the same time as general boards?
 
any advantage to taking it beginning of third year versus after third year? Is it mainly to avoid taking it around the same time as general boards?
That was my thought process. And, I just wanted to get it done.

Some program may not allow to take it in 3rd year. You should check with your nuclear lab director