When to take PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triplerox

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when do ppl usually take their PCAT? PharmCAS application starts june 1st, how long before that date do you take your test? I just finished my sophmore year and am thinking about starting my study for PCAT, is it too early?

Oh by the way, if im graduating during the summer of 2010, that means i should be applying starting June 1st of 2009 (end of my jnr year)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

well you can apply after you're done with the prequis so technically if u gotten all the classes you can apply right now and if u do well on pcat u can get in end of junior year.

Really, you apply for both pharmacy school and/or the PCAT when you have the classes to do so. You can apply to pharmacy school during the year where you plan to complete your prereqs. Of course, you could apply afterwards if you want to stick around in college.

The same logic applies to the PCAT testing date. You want to choose a time that is:

A) On or before the October test that occurs during the admissions cycle when you apply.

B) ASAP after you've taken the necessary courses

C) When you've had enough time to study for the exam, if necessary.

D) Soon enough so schools don't dismiss your scores because they're too old.

I guess the best time in general would be the two summer PCAT dates that during the admissions cycle you are applying to. Yet, you could take it earlier if you finish your prereqs earlier and you worry that you'll be too busy during the summer and/or forget prereq information.

HIIII buddy ,,,
I am a new member of this network .. and i wanna take information regarding pcat preparation .so plzz give me general kind of inforamtion ..... thanks to all .... bye

Members don't see this ad :)
For PCAT preparation I'd say you need the prerequisites such as both gen Chem's and both Orgo I and II, not so much II. You need Gen bio, microbio, and a little on human anatomy. Besides that you got the verbal. You should purchase a book to make you familiar with what type of questions are asked on the PCAT. I personally chose the PCAT destroyer for the sciences and maths and I use the MCAT exam crackers for the verbal. I have spoken to a couple of pharmacy schools and they said they mainly look at the Oct. PCAT but I'm taking mine in Aug since ill be entering my senior year in college and if it works out and I get a good score great, if not I have the chance to boost it up in Oct.
Good Luck

thanks for the response guys. i guess i will be studying this summer for it. do ppl usually take it before they apply to pharmcas or after?

Yeah you can definitely take it if you finished at least Cal and OrgoI. I will be taking those classes this Fall, but I will go ahead and take my first PCAT in August to see how I do, then again in October.

I am submitting my pharmcas before I take the August, but you can do either.