When to take Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fennek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all at SDN :D

i'm a 2nd year medical student from Singapore, and i'll be getting my MBBS in 2009 (if nothing goes wrong!). i'm considering a career in the States, but since the MBBS isn't recognised there, i'm thinking of doing the USMLEs and the other relevant exams (which i am completely clueless about ATM) which would allow me to get an internship in future. my university is recognised by the IMED, so i reckon i should be a eligible for the USMLEs at least.

i've completed my Anatomy, Biochemistry and Physiology modules in year 1, and i'm currently doing Neuroscience, Immunology, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, and Public Health. the Neuroscience and Microbiology modules will be completed at the end of this AY, but the rest of them will be continued in my clinical years (3-5).

is there anyone out there who's been in my situation before? did you wait till the modules were completed before you sat for the exams? i thought it would be appropriate to take Step 1 at the end of this year (although i suppose it's already too late to register for it by now), coz studying for Microbiology's a bitch, and i can't see myself doing that all over again next year! however, a friend commented that it would be best if one gained some clinical experience before one sat for the exams. is that really important?

in case you're wondering, most of my texts are similar to the ones being used in the States:

Anatomy - Snell
Biochemistry - Lippincott's
Physiology - Guyton

Neuroscience - Fitzgerald
Immunology & Microbiology - Jawetz Review
Pathology - Kotran & Robbins
Pharmacology - Katzung

i'm just bursting with questions! please advise! many thanks =)

Members don't see this ad.