When to take Step 2 CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fightontrojans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, apologies if this isn't the right forum for this - I haven't been on SDN in ages and am a little "technologically challenged."

I am a medical student who scored above 260 on Step 1 and am a little scared of doing worse on Step 2 CK. I'll definitely have taken CK before ranking, but I'm wondering if it's important to get CK out of the way before interviews. I've heard that PDs are valuing CK scores more and more, but anecdotally I know a few people from the last two application cycles who didn't do CK until after interviews.

If it makes any difference, I'll be applying in the 2021 cycle, and I'm hoping to match in CA.

Thanks a bunch! Would appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, apologies if this isn't the right forum for this - I haven't been on SDN in ages and am a little "technologically challenged."

I am a medical student who scored above 260 on Step 1 and am a little scared of doing worse on Step 2 CK. I'll definitely have taken CK before ranking, but I'm wondering if it's important to get CK out of the way before interviews. I've heard that PDs are valuing CK scores more and more, but anecdotally I know a few people from the last two application cycles who didn't do CK until after interviews.

If it makes any difference, I'll be applying in the 2021 cycle, and I'm hoping to match in CA.

Thanks a bunch! Would appreciate any input!

It depends, I believe there are more programs now that are looking at Step 2 CK. If there’s a program you particularly want to apply to/match at and they require Step 2 CK, you’ll probably need to buckle down and take it.

Conversely, what you are doing is what I’ve typically recommended in the past. If you scored well on Step 1, consider delaying Stpe 2 CK for as long as possible. I took my Step 2 CK in December (school requirement to have to it done before December of your MS4 year) and don’t believe I got my scores back until after interview season was complete

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks a bunch for the input! Just to clarify - as long as I don't have a particular program in mind that requires Step 2 CK, would you say it's still reasonable to follow your typical advice of delaying Step 2 CK as long as possible?

I feel like taking it before applications has more potential to hurt than to help me, but I also don't want it to be a red flag that I haven't taken it yet, especially if more programs are valuing it now

You have a score for Step 1 so obviously that's going to help you. Step 2 will become more important when all of the applicants don't have a Step 1 score anymore. For you specifically most programs aren't going to care you haven't taken Step 2 yet it's usually the people that had borderline Step 1 scores that will want to do Step 2 early. On the other hand you did very well on Step 1 most people that did well on 1 do well on 2 also and you may consider just getting it out of the way.

Reactions: 1 users