When to take Step 2 CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrapperJohnMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While trying to schedule out my 4th year I'm having some trouble figuring out when best to take Step 2 CK. Some people say take it early and just get it out of the way. Others think if you have a decent step 1, its better to wait until after the apps are in just in case something crazy happens (like not AT LEAST matching your step 1) --because taking it early can only hurt you.

I really torn here. I would like to just have it done and out of the way....but it sucks putting my decent step 1 on the line. Besides if I take the time I need to do well that knocks out an elective block, time wise, early in fourth year that may be needed for aways.

If I put it off till after applications are in I probably wont take it until after interviews are done (February??). I have also heard that some programs "request" your step 2 scores be on file before they make their final ROL.

Anyway, I'm leaning more towards the early exam but it sucks to risk tainting a good step 1. I am confident that I can do well, but I'm just anxious about making an unforced error.

Any recently matched MS4's have any suggestions? Any residents recently involved in the match process have any insight?? Others??? Thanks.

-Trapper

PS MODS: I know this may sound like it belongs in the step 2 section, and maybe it does, but since I'm applying solely to PRS I think the people in this forum have more of the perspective I'm looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not applying to PRS and am also a 3rd yr scheduling 4th yr electives. I have spoken to a bunch on this issue. What i have gathered is that you look specifically at the programs u interested in. If most request step 2, then u should take it early. if they don't, then u can relax a bit and take it down the line.

I am taking my first 4weeks of 4th yr off to take step 2 becuase my step 1 is slightly below average, so i need to take step 2 to correct that and possibly help my chances. If u did well above national avg, then u might want to consider doing couple of away rotation in PRS first and then schedule ur step 2 towards end of the yr.

hope this helps.

This question came up amidst the spam that has over-run plastics education....seems like most thought if step 1 >240-245 than one could put off step 2 without it being much of an issue. Some hadnt taken it at all yet (posted march 18th!).

BTW, after reading the handful of stats from that site...:eek: damn, what a dose of reality of how freaking competitive this shiz is getting. I'm starting to feel like a midget trying out for the NBA....

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely feel you on this question as I will also be applying to PRS this upcoming year. I end with medicine during my third year and am going to see how a practice NBME looks before I commit either to taking it early or not.

The way someone who matched this year from my school broke it down to me was your application is a bunch of positives and negatives to a program director. A good step I score is something a lot of applicants have, as well as AOA, anything else you do to make you stand out can't hurt, including killing step II (even if step I was high). He said it likely won't come up in interviews if you don't take it, but it will be included in this ridiculous rank process if you take it and do well. Also, I was told it is likely to hurt you if you roll the dice and do worse, which seems obvious.

This probably doesn't answer your question, but as for myself I'm gonna see how practice tests go and if they are high I will roll the dice.

Dude, just take it early. Don't play the game, just work hard and kill it. Residencies want applicants with balls (or ovaries) who aren't afraid to face challenges head on. Just study hard, do well, and get on with the rest of the year - thats what you want to do anyway. You'll be happy you did. Also you will never be more prepared for it than right at the end of 3rd year, the longer you wait, the more random little things you will start to forget and thus a lower score you will have. Furthermore, there are programs that want to see a passed Step 2 before they rank you, do you think they would look more or less favorably upon you if you already took it and passed well before your interview?

I am taking my step 2 CK first month of 4th year despite a great step 1. You know why? Because I'm not afraid of a test, and you shouldn't be either. Just do it man.

When I asked my program chair about this, he agreed with everything I just said.

I've sat through five integrated plastics rank meetings, so I have a frame of reference for this . . .

If you did really well on Step 1 (maybe 245 or higher), it would be pretty silly to provide a program with a Step 2 score.

If you did fairly well (>230) and you're sure that you can do better, it's in your interest to get that score up.

If you did poorly on Step 1, you'd better demonstrate that you can kick Step 2's butt.

We only look at Step 2 when a student who otherwise looks good (rotator) has a less than stellar Step 1 score.

Also you will never be more prepared for it than right at the end of 3rd year, the longer you wait, the more random little things you will start to forget and thus a lower score you will have. Furthermore, there are programs that want to see a passed Step 2 before they rank you, do you think they would look more or less favorably upon you if you already took it and passed well before your interview?

First of all, it won't matter if your score is a little lower on Step 2 than it would have been if residencies don't even see it. It becomes a pass/fail exam. Secondly, it is safe to assume that if an applicant doesn't take step 2 early, their step 1 score is high enough to safely match (>240). I don't think a single program would be worried about simply passing step 2 before ranking them. Their is realistically no chance that they would fail step 2.

In the end, step 2 is important to take if your step 1 is not high enough to be competitive. Otherwise, the risks outweigh the benefits.

BTW, after reading the handful of stats from that site...:eek: damn, what a dose of reality of how freaking competitive this shiz is getting. I'm starting to feel like a midget trying out for the NBA....

Just wait until you get to your first interview!! I just matched into an integrated program, though looking back on it, there's no way I should have when I was comparing myself to others. I had a good step 1 so decided to ride that one for my interviews. I took my step 2 in Nov (to get it out of the way and bc I had about 2 wks after my last away until my first interview) and decided to wait that long because, let's face it--EVERYTHING on that application matters. You've worked so hard to get it looking like it does, what happens if you kill step 1, but somethink happens and you get like a 190 on step 2? There's something to be said for "No guts, no glory" but I'm of the opinion that if you don't have to risk it, you shouldn't. There's way too much riding on it.

So, if I were to do it over again, I'd do it exactly the same and I would suggest you wait until after Sept 1 (when you submit your ERAS) to take your step 2. It is really nice to have it over with and I was hating my buddies who had taken it early when I was trying to study it and check my email for interview offers, but looking back, I don't think I would do it any differently.