When to take Step 2 ck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chargersfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a tough time deciding when to take step 2 ck. My current schedule looks like this:

End of 3rd year: 06/15 (I end on 4 weeks of family medicine so I have time during this rotation to study too)

4th year starts: 07/01. I start off with my medicine sub-I followed directly by MICU until 08/25.

Therefore my two choices are take it right before 4th year (06/28-29) or wait until after my MICU rotation and take two weeks off and take it first week of September.

Pros/con for taking it in June: Getting it out of the way, closer to 3rd year rotations, getting scores back in time for applications; less time to study, possibility of not doing well on mock step 2 and not being able to push it back bc June-September is out of the 3 month registration window NBME gives us

Pros/con for September: less rush to take it and more free time to study, having gone thru medicine again; further away from core 3rd year rotations, not getting score back in time for applications (?)

About myself: 247 step 1, High pass and passes so far 3rd year after 4 clerkships

I would appreciate anybody's opinions

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am having a tough time deciding when to take step 2 ck. My current schedule looks like this:

End of 3rd year: 06/15 (I end on 4 weeks of family medicine so I have time during this rotation to study too)

4th year starts: 07/01. I start off with my medicine sub-I followed directly by MICU until 08/25.

Therefore my two choices are take it right before 4th year (06/28-29) or wait until after my MICU rotation and take two weeks off and take it first week of September.

Pros/con for taking it in June: Getting it out of the way, closer to 3rd year rotations, getting scores back in time for applications; less time to study, possibility of not doing well on mock step 2 and not being able to push it back bc June-September is out of the 3 month registration window NBME gives us

Pros/con for September: less rush to take it and more free time to study, having gone thru medicine again; further away from core 3rd year rotations, not getting score back in time for applications (?)

About myself: 247 step 1, High pass and passes so far 3rd year after 4 clerkships

I would appreciate anybody's opinions

Thanks!

Wait until September. I say this for a few reasons. The test is mostly IM, so you being on IM and then MICU will be a great bonus to your studying. It will also give you the option to withhold sending your score automatically when you submit your ERAS. You do not need CK when you submit your application...it is definitely not needed to get interviews, and will really only be used to determine your rank on the programs' ROLs.

Wait until September. I say this for a few reasons. The test is mostly IM, so you being on IM and then MICU will be a great bonus to your studying. It will also give you the option to withhold sending your score automatically when you submit your ERAS. You do not need CK when you submit your application...it is definitely not needed to get interviews, and will really only be used to determine your rank on the programs' ROLs.

Does this hold true for DO student with average step1 as well?

According some IM program sites I have seen they wanted to step 2 scores to consider your app complete before offering interview. I was kind off under the gun about getting ck done early, end of August, so I can submit on first week.

Last edited: