when to take step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puffy1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for thoughts on when to take Step 2. I'm applying for derm and did relatively well on Step 1, and I've scheduled Step 2 fairly early (before October). I've heard varying opinions on when to take it...either take it soon after 4th year before you forget the things you learned in 3rd year or take it late so you don't risk getting a bad score.

What do y'all think is the best time to take it? I'm leaning towards taking it as planned, but I also plan on talking to some residents and asking what they did.

Members don't see this ad.

sifting through the piles of AOA'ers and 260+ers, residency directors will only try to find a reason NOT to take you - so don't give them a reason with a less than stellar step 2. believe me, they couldn't care less at the fact that you didn't take step 2 when you're on the interview trail. yo, there's no better feeling than matching in derm. but the seconds after, when you realize you won't have to study a lick for step 2, that's just icing. take it in april.

I spoke with a neurosurgery resident today and he basically said the same thing...a bad Step 2 score can only hurt you. It's not that I think I'll do badly on it, or that I won't prepare for it, but you never know how the cards may fall (bad day, illness, computer glitch). I've already told the chair of one of derm department that I planned on taking it in August, but I'm sure he'll understand if I decided to push it back.