when to take step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowinter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a few more questions. Thank you so much for answering my previous q's!! (thanks toadkiller dog!!! and the rest)

Ok, so I have a 226 on step 1. should I take step 2 in JUly? Will that help me get more interviews (if i improve my step 2 that is)? or should I take it in september/october and if I improve-- it would just help me with getting more likely to be accepted?

thankss so much for your advice.

snowinter
p.s. wouldn't it be nice if ophtho came out of the early match like ENT just did? (except i guess finding out early is going to be nice too!) (maybe).

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how much it would help. Most people don't take it before applying so I believe programs don't place too much weight on it. If you really kill it, perhaps it may help, but conversely if you do worse it could hurt you. In other words, it may be a risk with only a small chance of any reward.

Anyway, it may be hard to put the time in to really do well while you're applying and interviewing and are already kinda burned out from 3rd year rotations.

ps - ENT isn't early match anymore? Didn't know that. That starts next year?

I have to agree. Unless there was a specific reason that you scored the way you scored (ie. you were sick, girlfriend dumped you, etc), you likely won't see much of a change in your score. There are some people who do improve their score, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference. Plus, most programs really only look at Step 1, unless you fail Step 2, which gives them something to wonder about...

While your score isn't great, I don't think it constitutes as a deal-breaker. Dr. Doan has addressed this in other posts. Other things like grades, letters of rec, perhaps research, could give you a good profile despite your Step 1 scores.

As to the early match, I see it as a benefit. It was great having the months of February and March to relax while my colleagues squirmed while waiting for March 17. It makes planning much easier, and you have time to think about alternative plans if the match doesn't work out.