when to take step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minnime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering one didn't do so hot on step 1, when should a person take step 2. I know everyone says early enough to get the results and put it on residency applications, but when exactly is that. Is june too late? How long does it usually take to recieve the scores?
Minime

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Taking the test in late July to early August would provide you adequate time to study for it (I studied ~ 6 wks for it) and also would be early enough for you to get your score and update your CV on ERAS. Remember though, the best prep for STep 2 is learning everything you can during your rotations. When I took my Step 2, I felt I was pulling a lot of info from my rotations. Good Luck! :)

It depends on what you want to do or where you want to match...if it's something or somewhere semi-competitive you need to take it earlier to get your score on your application before interviews if Step 1 wasn't so great. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. I took it early just to get the stupid thing over with and enjoy the rest of my 4th year.

minnime said:
Considering one didn't do so hot on step 1, when should a person take step 2. I know everyone says early enough to get the results and put it on residency applications, but when exactly is that. Is june too late? How long does it usually take to recieve the scores?
Minime
From the NBME website For Steps 1 and 2 CK, these processes are completed for a majority of examinees in three to four weeks.

Another factor to consider is if you are regular or early match.