when to take step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mossyfiber12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a subpar step 1 score. I was wondering when I should be taking step 2 so that residency programs see my (hopefully) increased score of step 2.

Also, how do you guys figure out which programs are good?? based on the city you want to live in or just through the grapevine?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend taking the test soon after 3rd yr. I am doing a research year right now (between 3rd and 4th yr) and took step 2 right before starting. Of my friends that went straight to 4th yr, some chose to take the test right before starting sub-Is and some are taking time to study/take the test after sub-Is as a break before interviews. Some schools make you take the test before December of 4th year while for other schools it does not matter.

I believe there is a time cut-off for when scores are sent to programs automatically and if you take the test after this cutoff you may choose whether or not to send the score. I am not sure when this is though...
:luck::luck::luck: