When to take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idunnowhattonamemyself

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm a sophomore, planning on graduating in Spring 2021 and entering dental school that same year. I was wondering when would the best time to take the DAT? I was considering on taking it at the end of summer, after spending the entire summer studying for it, or taking it at the end of the fall semester. When did you take it or would recommend taking it? Also, how long does it take to study for the DAT, considering I want a competitive score to make up for my average GPA (GPA: 3.61, sGPA: 3.54).

Members don't see this ad.

I would take it the summer before Junior year. You should be done with most relevant classes and then have the possibility of taking it again before you apply the following summer if it doesn't go well. I would spend about 3 months studying for it.

If you want to enter dental school in Fall 2021, you'd have to apply June 2020. Ideally, you should have your DAT done anytime before June 2020 so that you can apply right when the cycle opens. However, people (including myself) have used that summer to study for the test and take it later on, but this can get tricky (this would mean studying for and taking it in summer 2020). If you take it in August or so and don't score high enough to outweigh the lateness of your app (which would maybe be around 23-24+), then you may not have a successful cycle and would have to reapply in June 2021 for matriculation in Fall 2022.

My personal story is I studied all summer, and didn't complete my application until I had my scores (I did request LORs early on though). Then, when I got my scores back, I started writing a PS, ordered transcripts etc and applied at the end of August and had a successful cycle, but it may not have been this way if I hadn't scored what I did. So it's really tricky and you have to be careful.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would take it the summer before Junior year. You should be done with most relevant classes and then have the possibility of taking it again before you apply the following summer if it doesn't go well. I would spend about 3 months studying for it.
Do dental schools view retaking the DAT multiple times negatively? Or, does it not matter - that getting a better score is more important?

Members don't see this ad :)
My experience is that they do not view it as a negative thing if you perform better the second time. Taking it a 3rd time is when it starts to look a bit negative but then again it always depends on the group of people looking at your app and how you can explain yourself if you do get an interview. I took my test a second time and scored higher, which allowed me to bring up my dedication towards this occupation. With your grades I would not need to worry about retaking if I score at least a 20 with scores below 18.
From what I've gathered studying about 2 month for the DAT is enough for most people, then again you know yourself best to gauge how long you need to study for.

Last edited:
Hey!

The DAT is a tough exam and one that definitely requires time and effort for a great mark. Is it possible to take the DAT during the school year and get an amazing mark? Yes! However, time spent preparing for the DAT is time taken away from other things such as other courses, extra-curricular activities, friends/family, etc. For this reason, most students opt to write the DAT during the low stress times of the year which include the summer months. This also affords students the time to adequately prepare for the exam and all of its sections. It all comes down to how much time you have as a student and how well you can manage that time. Generally speaking though, the earlier you write the DAT the better, as you will have familiarized yourself with the exam and will have further opportunities for re-writes if the score you get is not adequate.

In terms of re-writes. Generally speaking, schools do look at the number of times a student re-wrote. Furthermore, the DAT is not a cheap exam to write and so it is best to be prepared for it going in. Let us know what you decide to do. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I agree with you about how it is time taken away from your life. I was studying for my DAT after graduation and took my first test around July, but by doing this if you score badily then you're losing a year. The $415 test was one of the most nerve-wreking test for me.

Hey!

The DAT is a tough exam and one that definitely requires time and effort for a great mark. Is it possible to take the DAT during the school year and get an amazing mark? Yes! However, time spent preparing for the DAT is time taken away from other things such as other courses, extra-curricular activities, friends/family, etc. For this reason, most students opt to write the DAT during the low stress times of the year which include the summer months. This also affords students the time to adequately prepare for the exam and all of its sections. It all comes down to how much time you have as a student and how well you can manage that time. Generally speaking though, the earlier you write the DAT the better, as you will have familiarized yourself with the exam and will have further opportunities for re-writes if the score you get is not adequate.

In terms of re-writes. Generally speaking, schools do look at the number of times a student re-wrote. Furthermore, the DAT is not a cheap exam to write and so it is best to be prepared for it going in. Let us know what you decide to do. Best of luck!
Thank you for the advice! I'm fairly new to being pre-dental, I honestly don't know any other pre-dental students yet, so I want to make sure I'm on the right path! As of now, I plan on taking organic chemistry 2 and possibly another, easier class over the summer while I study for the DAT and shadow dentists. And, I guess, ideally, take the DAT at the end of summer. Is that a doable plan or should I solely focus on the DAT?

Thank you for the advice! I'm fairly new to being pre-dental, I honestly don't know any other pre-dental students yet, so I want to make sure I'm on the right path! As of now, I plan on taking organic chemistry 2 and possibly another, easier class over the summer while I study for the DAT and shadow dentists. And, I guess, ideally, take the DAT at the end of summer. Is that a doable plan or should I solely focus on the DAT?

That is definitely a reasonable plan. I have never been an advocate of solely focusing 100% of your time on the DAT as that is usually a sure way to burn-out so what you have outlined is very doable. Besides the extra course and the shadowing, make sure to enjoy your summer as well a bit :)

Hello!
I'm a sophomore, planning on graduating in Spring 2021 and entering dental school that same year. I was wondering when would the best time to take the DAT? I was considering on taking it at the end of summer, after spending the entire summer studying for it, or taking it at the end of the fall semester. When did you take it or would recommend taking it? Also, how long does it take to study for the DAT, considering I want a competitive score to make up for my average GPA (GPA: 3.61, sGPA: 3.54).

OChem 2 + Another class over the summer, where classes are much faster paced and much more intense.

+ Shadowing

+ Studying for the DAT

And topping it all off with taking the DAT at the end???

Honestly speaking of this were me, this would be a one way ticket to tanking my cum. GPA, science GPA, burnout, possibly depression, and doing horribly on the DAT lol

I mean idk, maybe if you’re a genius and can handle the load.. maybeeee? But if you’re just a normal kid like I am, I would personally advise against doing all this in one summer

When I took the DAT I did nothing but study for the DAT for 3 weeks and I thought it helped me focus and stress a lot less than if I had to juggle classes with it too.

I cannot imagine trying to juggle the circus of Ochem 2 WITH the DAT

Do the classes over the summer and DAT at the end of winter break is my advice.

If not, may God be with you haha