When to take the DATs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montag925

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious when most people take their DATs. I am currently a sophomore who is thinking about taking it September – December of this year when I will be a junior. I am just curious if this is the norm or too early/late. I can register for classes for next semester Monday and want to plan my coursework accordingly. By the end of this semester I will have basically everything needed done with (Chem ½, Orgo ½, Physics ½, A&P 2) I just want to get a sense of what most people do.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I am in the same boat as you. I am a sophomore also, and I think I'm going to take my DATs in January 08. A lot of people told me that its too early and most people wait until later in the spring, but my concern was what if I don't do as well as I like and I want to retake them I still want to be able to apply early if that be the case. I met with the pre-med advisor at my school, and she told me I can take them in January if I'm ready, but don't feel like I have to take them that early. She also said based on her experience with other students that she highly recommends taking them before the end of your spring semester of junior year, which I'm sure you are planning on doing anyway. Well, I'm not sure if this helped at all but I think as long as you took the prereqs you should be fine, and maybe take some advanced bio classes this fall too, that should be beneficial. Good luck and PM if you have any more questions, as I'm sure we are going through the same thing! =)

do it when you're ready. most schools will process early applicants. the early you submit, the higher chances to get into the schools.