When to take the MCAT (August or January following)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zimzolla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had always assumed that I would take the MCAT in January 2012, and then apply to med school Summer 2012.

Now I am thinking I may want to take it August 2011 just before Junior year starts. All my prereqs will be done at end of Spring 2011 (just physics left).

I was going to study for six months prior to the MCAT, but I have been wondering that perhaps three months in the summer is worth more than studying six months comprised of half a summer and a whole semester.

In both the summer and academic year I work part time, volunteer once a week for four hours, and will do research. However volunteering will end half way through Fall 2011. Summer I plan on shadowing some doctors. Of course in the academic semester I carry a full courseload.

Which is the wiser path? Cramming MCAT studying into three months among research, work, volunteering and shadowing, or spread it out six months among research, work, volunteering (half), and a full courseload?

Members don't see this ad.

When you say just physics left, do you mean you wouldn't have complete all your pre-reqs like you said? Or do you mean that you only have physics left to complete which you'll finish in Spring 2011.

Anyway, either situation is bad. Especially since summer research can quickly turn into a full time job. The point behind the whole three months in the summer thing isn't to load up your summer with tons of other activities while studying for the MCAT; it's to use your summer to devote your time to the MCAT. You should try to do LESS things while studying for the MCAT, not more.

Physics will be complete by spring 2011.

Yeah, I know both situations are bad. I feel like I am really running out of time though. I only have spring, summer, fall, spring, and then I apply to med school summer 2012, graduate spring 2013. I have to shadow this summer, I have to do research (part of my degree) I made a one year commitment to volunteer that expires in the fall (250 hours at the Cleveland Clinic). I need my job in the academic year so I need to work some hours in the summer to keep seniority and pay.

Why are you running out of time? Medical school isn't going anywhere. Don't be one of those people that feels like they just have to go to medical school right out of college. You don't. Right now it sounds like a research position which could very well turn into a full-time position during the summer with shadowing or a part-time job and a full course load. It's like asking a runner which foot they'd like to hop on to win the 100 meter dash.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So, what... I'm screwed? Are you suggesting I do a gap year and take the MCAT the following summer? I really dont plan on that, and my current situation wouldn't allow it.

No one has any suggestions? I'll give additional info. My planned course load will be Animal Bio, Biochemistry, a sociology class, and the final class will eithier be Physical Chemistry I or intro to modern physics. Along with my 1 credit hour research thats 16 credit hours. I really dont want to take a light course load just to study for the MCAT, it sounds cheap and I dont think I could keep my scholarship if I dropped to part time.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with waiting a year. I know plenty of people that have done it and been happier.

You sound like you're pretty busy. Don't get caught up in the hustle with no time for the MCAT. You'll regret it later.

I honestly think that taking it in August would be most beneficial to you, if you are not planning on taking any summer classes, because you can focus on just the MCAT and you do not have to worry about classes. I am taking the MCAT at the end of this week and it has been a little harder because I am having to study for it while I am studying for my classes too

Taking a year off is great. This is something agreed by almost every medical student friend I have. Those who did are happy while those who did not are regretting.

I mean just think about it. You will be spending your consecutive 8 years of your life with a workload close to 3 times of what you are doing now. :eek::eek:
And don't think about getting behind. Taking a year off is like not working for a year until the year of retirement, so it's a winning plan.

Man I better go to Europe after I am done with MCAT this Friday. (not for long just 3 weeks to a month, so Adcoms forgive me. :D)

When you guys say gap year, all I see is one more year working at Giant Eagle, one more year living at home. Sure I would love to travel to Europe, but something like that isn't financially feasible right before Med school. I have looked into volunteer abroad, but it seems hard to find a good program thats free and doesent take 27 months (Peace corps).

I think what I will do is take a leave of absence from work, try to limit research to 20 hours a week, and shadow one day a week and have my volunteering one day a week. That leaves me with 2-3 days off to study, and the other days I can study when I get home. During the school year I never have days off.

I think a gap year thread might be a good idea though, maybe I'll start that...

If you can get a 30+ on the MCAT, while having an intense work load, go for it. Everyone one is different. But keep in mind that if you get a poor score on your MCAT, it will haunt you. Most adcoms don't want to see more than one MCAT retake on your resume, and while a 30+ looks great, a 30+ next to a 24 or below doesn't look so hot on paper. The MCAT is just as important as your GPA and EC's. You WILL regret it if you take the MCAT with only a bit of studying under your belt, and then bomb it. So think carefully before you reject the idea of a gap year, or a lessened course load. Which is worse: A smaller course load/gap year or a boat load of med school rejections?