When to take the MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuTuReMeDsTuDnT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

So i was wondering.... when should I take the MCAT. I'm only going into my sophmore year of college, and i had a bad GPA my freshman year due to some family problems. So i was planning on working my booty off the next 3 years and getting a 3.7+ GPA. I plan on taking 18 hours for the Fall, Spring and Summer 1, 2, and 3 semesters, and hopefully getting A's in them all in order to achieve that!

So my question is, would it be wise to just take the MCAT my senior year, that way when i apply, my cGPA will be higher than it would be if i applied my junior year? I was also planning on doing Americorps for the year after i graduate.

So what should i do?

Members don't see this ad.

Take it right after you have finished your last pre-req or maybe a semester after you finished after maybe taking a semester of physiology, genetics, microbio classes (the upper level biology classes aren't required by any means but it helps if you have taken them). Either way the best time is to take them after you finish your last pre-req which is usually organic.

Hope this helped,

-LIS

you usually take your last pre-reqs during your jr year, right?? So if i take the mcat then, will my scores still be accepted almost two years later, and will adcomms kinda look down on that??

Hi.

So i was wondering.... when should I take the MCAT. I'm only going into my sophmore year of college, and i had a bad GPA my freshman year due to some family problems. So i was planning on working my booty off the next 3 years and getting a 3.7+ GPA. I plan on taking 18 hours for the Fall, Spring and Summer 1, 2, and 3 semesters, and hopefully getting A's in them all in order to achieve that!

So my question is, would it be wise to just take the MCAT my senior year, that way when i apply, my cGPA will be higher than it would be if i applied my junior year? I was also planning on doing Americorps for the year after i graduate.

So what should i do?

do it the summer after your sophomore year. Have all of your prereqs done by then. If you do not do this there is a great chance you will be hating your life the following semester(s)/summer.