When to take the OAT

alleigh79

not so confused anymore!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide when to take the OAT. I will have complete all pre-req. by next summer except for biochem. and organic. Would it be too early for me to take the OAT next Aug/Sept. or should I wait until I'm finished with biochem and organic -- even if I begin studying using Kaplan??

Members don't see this ad.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if you didn't take biochem before the OAT, but I strongly recommend that you complete your organic course before taking it. I had a year of organic, and I still struggled with it on the exam. Hope this helps.

I agree. Don't worry about biochem but definetely take ochem. I mean, there's an entire ochem section so ur def going to want at least a semester

Ochem sucks. I just finished a year of it and I struggled a lot. Thankfully, from what I've been studying, the material on the OAT is presented in a simpler way than it is in class, since on the test they can't ask you to do things like draw mechanisms and draw products, but since it's multiple choice it's easier to look at your choices and narrow them down, if you don't know the answer. Definitely take at least a semester, if not a whole year before you take the OAT. It'll help tremendously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ochem sucks.

Its not that Ochem sucks (although I've had that very opinion in the past) but it is very difficult material to truly understand. But you're absolutely right, take as much Ochem as you can and it will help. I took my old college Ochem book and studied it cover to cover in order to try and relearn it.

Biochemistry is a course best served after you finish your Ochem appetizers.

You're right, it wouldn't have sucked so much if I had had a better grasp on it! :laugh: