When to take the OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missbrightside

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most schools start the new cycle this summer like July-ish. I want to apply early for best chances of getting in due to rolling admissions. what time of the year is best to take the OAT? Should I take the OAT this summer then apply next year2013 for the class starting 2014? also how long is the oat scores valid for? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Take it this summer and apply in July of 2013. Make sure most pre-requisites are completed. OAT scores are valid for 2 years.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Why not take it summer 2013? You'll probably have more prereq's finished by then, and you can still finish it before the cycle even opens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah i was thinking about that. Hm so if i take it next spring right before July 2013 cycle starts, i would have had almost a whole year to study, would that be of greater benefit? Or maybe I should take it sooner this summer while my brain is still in spongy learning mode since i just graduated from undergrad. Sooner the better?

Yeah i was thinking about that. Hm so if i take it next spring right before July 2013 cycle starts, i would have had almost a whole year to study, would that be of greater benefit? Or maybe I should take it sooner this summer while my brain is still in spongy learning mode since i just graduated from undergrad. Sooner the better?

I definitely think it's better to take closer to when you took the classes...because that's less studying you need to do so long as you remember things from pre-req classes. If you have the summer off from school (sounds like you've graduated), then study really hard this summer for a couple months. That's really all the time you need if you spend a couple hours per day on it (frequently review the material you have already studied and learned so you don't forget it a month later!). I would shoot to take the test around August or September so that you have some time to study, but it's not so long that you forget everything from classes. Plus that gives you plenty of time to retake it if you need to. I think some people make the mistake of not studying hard or well, then take it right before they want to apply, and then lose out on valuable time in the admissions calendar when they have to wait 3 months to take it again. Try to study hard so you just take it once, but leave open the opportunity to take it again before you want to apply.