When to take the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ki124

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to apply to a pharmacy school for fall 2011.
So, when should I take the PCAT?
I'm in my freshman year at a county college and I am currently taking pharmacy pre-reqs (Chem I, II, Bio I,II, A&P I,II, and etc).

Members don't see this ad.

Are you going to take Org.1 in Fall 2010? You need to have at least orgo 1 before you take the pcat... so I would say take it in Oct. so you will have at least some of it before you take the pcat.. and if you do not get the score you want... then take it in Jan. I actually took my 2nd pcat in jan and even though I was soo nervous bc the jan score could make or break me for acceptance for fall 2010, I actullay got a great score and everything worked out fine. The more classes you have, the easier the pcat will be. I noticed a huge difference from 1 year of more classes before I took the pcat again. Good Luck!

How much orgo II is on the pCat?
How about calc II. I haven't taken that yet, but I plan to take the pcat maybe in June.

Also for bio section, Is there like plant biology, evolution or ecology on it? I already took the other stuff like human bio, DNA, genetics, etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't really need to take Ochem 2. I didn't and got a 95 on the chem section. I did get a Schaum's book and study the reactions. There weren't that many and the PCAT doesn't go into great detail so it worked.

I don't remember Calc 2 material on it. And there is some plant, evolution and ecology questions though there aren't many. If you study the Kaplan book, it should be enough to get you through that part. Or you could just skip it and get a few points lower on your bio score.

You probably want to take it a year ahead of when you are actually going into school. Just like your application, you want to turn that in a year ahead of time. good luck!