When to take USMLE step 2 CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goose...Fraba

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question but I m gonna ask anyway..
Do you need to take step 2 CS at the same time as step 2 CK? Is the clinical skills portion factored into your overall step 2 score, or is just a pass no pass?
Im planning on taking step 2 CK in early august so that my scores will be in before I send in my ERAS application, but if I could, I would like to take the CS part later on in the year. Is that possible?Tanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

you can and should take them at different times. CS is just pass/fail, CK is scored like step 1.

I think you have a good plan...took CK in october and CS in february myself. They are two separate exams (and two very large chunks of change, $$$$), so you don't need to take them at the same time. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took CK in December and CS in February ( recieved CK results in January and CS results in March-pretty decent turn around time).

Take step 2 CS as soon as possible to get it out of the way.

step 2 CK...if you did well on step 1, put it off as long as possible so that all you have to do is pass it. no need for unnecessary pressure.

AndyMilonakis said:
Take step 2 CS as soon as possible to get it out of the way.

step 2 CK...if you did well on step 1, put it off as long as possible so that all you have to do is pass it. no need for unnecessary pressure.

I suggest either taking CS very early or much later (like in Feb). That way, if you don't pass the exam, you have time to re-take it before schools rank you if you took it early...or your scores won't be back in time affect your match if you took it later.

I know of one person who took CS around Nov/Dec, got their scores back in January and weren't ranked for a particular program because they failed the CS exam (with not enough time to re-take it).

Just something to think about.