• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

When to use certain kinematic equations

lamborghiniMD

Jun 25, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
    Okay, so here's a problem from a practice test:

"Suppose that a ball is thrown vertically upward from earth with velocity v, and returns to its original height in a time, t. If the value of g where reduced to g/6, then t would:

a) incr by 6
    b) incr by 6^.5
    c) decr by 6
    d decr by 6^.5

Okay, so I narrowed it down to a & b, and I WAS going to pick a (the correct answer), but then of course I had to doubt myself and pick b.

I chose a at first using t = v/g. but then I switch to b, because I used h = .5at^2.

Now I'm confused. Both equations are valid for time, but why was the t = v/g correct for this problem?

cloak25

Feb 28, 2012

"Suppose that a ball is thrown vertically upward from earth with velocity v, and returns to its original height in a time, t. If the value of g where reduced to g/6, then t would:

a) incr by 6
      b) incr by 6^.5
      c) decr by 6
      d decr by 6^.5

Okay, so I narrowed it down to a & b, and I WAS going to pick a (the correct answer), but then of course I had to doubt myself and pick b.

I chose a at first using t = v/g. but then I switch to b, because I used h = .5at^2.

Now I'm confused. Both equations are valid for time, but why was the t = v/g correct for this problem?

I think you use h = .5at^2 when you assume initial velocity is 0. In this case, the ball is thrown up so it has an initial velocity, therefore you cannot use h=0.5at^2.

Instead you can use d= vot + 0.5at^2 where d = 0 because the ball returns to its original height (0 displacement). So 0 = vot + 0.5at^2

since acceleration is negative, vot = 0.5at^2. time cancels and you get t = 2vo/g, which is the equation they used to get the answer.

About the Ads

flashlightpen

Jan 27, 2012
      1. Pre-Medical

a) incr by 6
        b) incr by 6^.5
        c) decr by 6
        d decr by 6^.5

Hey man!

Total off topic, but a pretty cool tip I got :D Whenever a question mentions time, use kinematics. If they dont want time, just use energy. Sounds kind of simple, but its been really helpful for me :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.