When to use certain kinematic equations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lamborghiniMD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so here's a problem from a practice test:

"Suppose that a ball is thrown vertically upward from earth with velocity v, and returns to its original height in a time, t. If the value of g where reduced to g/6, then t would:

a) incr by 6
b) incr by 6^.5
c) decr by 6
d decr by 6^.5

Okay, so I narrowed it down to a & b, and I WAS going to pick a (the correct answer), but then of course I had to doubt myself and pick b.

I chose a at first using t = v/g. but then I switch to b, because I used h = .5at^2.

Now I'm confused. Both equations are valid for time, but why was the t = v/g correct for this problem?
 
Okay, so here's a problem from a practice test:

"Suppose that a ball is thrown vertically upward from earth with velocity v, and returns to its original height in a time, t. If the value of g where reduced to g/6, then t would:

a) incr by 6
b) incr by 6^.5
c) decr by 6
d decr by 6^.5

Okay, so I narrowed it down to a & b, and I WAS going to pick a (the correct answer), but then of course I had to doubt myself and pick b.

I chose a at first using t = v/g. but then I switch to b, because I used h = .5at^2.

Now I'm confused. Both equations are valid for time, but why was the t = v/g correct for this problem?

I think you use h = .5at^2 when you assume initial velocity is 0. In this case, the ball is thrown up so it has an initial velocity, therefore you cannot use h=0.5at^2.

Instead you can use d= vot + 0.5at^2 where d = 0 because the ball returns to its original height (0 displacement). So 0 = vot + 0.5at^2

since acceleration is negative, vot = 0.5at^2. time cancels and you get t = 2vo/g, which is the equation they used to get the answer.
 
You cannot use h = (1/2)at² because there are tree variables in that equation that change. When gravity is reduced by a factor of 6, h and t change (increases). So because tree variables are changing you cannot use that equation. In t = v/g only two variables, g and t, change.
 
Okay, so here's a problem from a practice test:

"Suppose that a ball is thrown vertically upward from earth with velocity v, and returns to its original height in a time, t. If the value of g where reduced to g/6, then t would:

a) incr by 6
b) incr by 6^.5
c) decr by 6
d decr by 6^.5

Okay, so I narrowed it down to a & b, and I WAS going to pick a (the correct answer), but then of course I had to doubt myself and pick b.

I chose a at first using t = v/g. but then I switch to b, because I used h = .5at^2.

Now I'm confused. Both equations are valid for time, but why was the t = v/g correct for this problem?

Hey man!

Total off topic, but a pretty cool tip I got 😀 Whenever a question mentions time, use kinematics. If they dont want time, just use energy. Sounds kind of simple, but its been really helpful for me 👍