When to use continuity equation vs. V=IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laczlacylaci

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2016-8-16_20-47-29.png

The correct answer is C.

The key used V=IR. Length is directly proportional to R and Area is inversely proportional. As area increases, R decreases, causing a higher flow rate.

My thought process was A1v2=constant. A larger area, causes slower flow rate.

When should I not use the continuity equation?

Members don't see this ad.

Flow rate = Volume / time = Area * speed = A *v, increasing either area or speed will increase flow rate. The continuity equation holds. We eliminate A or B for having smaller diameters. The longer the pipe, the more resistance, therefore we eliminate D.

Also I believe flow rate is the "fluid system equivalent" of electrical current.

Flow rate = Volume / time = Area * speed = A *v, increasing either area or speed will increase flow rate. The continuity equation holds. We eliminate A or B for having smaller diameters. The longer the pipe, the more resistance, therefore we eliminate D.

Also I believe flow rate is the "fluid system equivalent" of electrical current.
Doesn't the continuity equation say: as you increase A, velocity decreases?

Doesn't the continuity equation say: as you increase A, velocity decreases?

That's true if you're talking about a continuous pipe (i.e. Pipe X with a smaller area is connected to Pipe Y with a greater area) then yeah, increasing A will decrease v, so you will see liquid flowing faster in Pipe X than Pipe Y. But the VOLUME PER TIME = flow rate will be the same at Pipe X and Pipe Y

But in the question's case, we're talking about separate "situations" (i.e. separate needles). Which needle will deliver most liquid in a given time, which will deliver the most volume in time? The needle with 1.) the largest volume and 2.) the least resistance. The continuity equation applies in a sense that A*V=constant, but the question is asking which of the needles will yield the greatest constant. The constant is the same value for within a given pipe system (within the length of a needle), but can vary between pipe systems (between different needles).

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 207987
The correct answer is C.

The key used V=IR. Length is directly proportional to R and Area is inversely proportional. As area increases, R decreases, causing a higher flow rate.

My thought process was A1v2=constant. A larger area, causes slower flow rate.

When should I not use the continuity equation?

Larger area means less velocity, yes. But besides the other answers, think about it for a second. A needle that's both shorter and wider will have a higher flow rate intuitively. Don't overthink things.

Reactions: 1 users