When to write letter of intent??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abababa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading postings on letters of intent, and it is being made to sound as though they are a requirement. I had a late interview so my application is still in review. Is it normal practice to send a letter of intent prior to being accepted/waitlisted/rejected. Will it be adverse to wait to see what the initial decision is prior to sending a letter? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

abababa said:
I have been reading postings on letters of intent, and it is being made to sound as though they are a requirement. I had a late interview so my application is still in review. Is it normal practice to send a letter of intent prior to being accepted/waitlisted/rejected. Will it be adverse to wait to see what the initial decision is prior to sending a letter? Thanks for the help.

I only wrote mine after being waitlisted. It wouldn't hurt to send one before an initial decision. I think LOIs are much more prevalent among SDNers than among the general applicant pool, but they definitely help. Thank you notes are appropriate shortly after an interview and update letters are helpful to let schools know that you are still interested and that you are still doing something of use.