When/what resources to buy for an incoming MS1 with a 1.5 year curriculum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shovo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm an incoming MS1 at a US MD school with a 1.5 year organ system-based blocks curriculum. After 1.5 years, we have 2 months of dedicated study time to prepare and take step 1.

I'm looking for recommended resources to purchase in order to supplement the lecture material and adequately prepare me for step 1.

Currently I am planning on getting the following, but I'm not sure when the optimal time to purchase them would be.

1. First Aid (I plan on getting a copy when the new edition comes out in December/January).
  2. Pathoma
  3. SketchyMedical
  4. UWorld
  5. Boards and Beyond
  6. Zanki (I plan on using it starting day 1)
Please advise me on when to purchase the above material, and if I should add any additional material or use any alternatives to the options I posted above.

Thank you so much everyone!!!

P.s. Yes I know I'm probably being neurotic but I know that the school did experience a drop in step 1 scores after transitioning to the 1.5 year curriculum, so I want to make sure that I'm adequately prepared.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on when you start pathophysiology/pharmacology/microbiology IMO. If it's right away, then I'd buy all for a 2 year sub (or gain other access ;) ). If you do physio/biochem/anatomy first, I think you can wait until they end

Reactions: 1 user
Sketchy and Uworld can be purchased next year, if you'd like.

Members don't see this ad :)
uword, FA and lecturio (covers all videos from MCAT to end of meds school...i love it). maybe pathoma as well (didn't use it but this forum loves it, must be for a reason).

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone give me some pros and cons b/w lecturio and boards and beyond?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am also in a 1.5 year program that is based on organ systems. I loved Pathoma and wish I started using it earlier. It was a great resource when I didn't understand the initial lecture in class and I watched the videos for an entire section a couple of days before that organ system final. It won't be as in depth as what you learned in class but sometimes they add explanations that connect concepts for you/its handy to see similar diseases presented by the same person in the same format.

Sketchy is awesome for learning micro. I'd hold off on purchasing sketchy for a couple of weeks unless you have money to burn. You may find that some of your classmates have the files and would be willing to share.

Don't wait to buy First Aid. You'll want to start reviewing material from First Aid at the end of each block/using it to review concepts for your earlier blocks. I'm not sure how much really changes from year to year anyways.

I love Anki. Definitely recommend.