When/where to apply based on practice score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahak49

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am planning to get into med school for Fall'2012. However, current score for Kaplan FL 1 was only 21 (PS 8, BS 8, VR 5). I am taking MCAT 1st time in July. I am so confused. I should forget about MD totally right? And, as far as DO, how should I plan to apply? Should I wait till September? No clue.

Reason for low score in PS and BS - totally missing like minimum of 20 questions (slow reader).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I am planning to get into med school for Fall'2012. However, current score for Kaplan FL 1 was only 21 (PS 8, BS 8, VR 5). I am taking MCAT 1st time in July. I am so confused. I should forget about MD totally right? And, as far as DO, how should I plan to apply? Should I wait till September? No clue.

Reason for low score in PS and BS - totally missing like minimum of 20 questions (slow reader).

do not take your MCAT until you are averaging over a 26. If that means applying next cycle then so be it. You wont get in anywhere with a 21 unless you are a superstar in every other category

Do not take this beast untill you are 101% ready! Do more practice exams and buy the AAMC exams for more practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
i really don't think you're ready to take it july 1st

Whoa....looks like I have a twin. Confused the heck outta me for a second :p

Thanks for your reply guys! Would September be too late to take MCAT (with ahope to get like 26)?

Yes, MD is out of the question. You really need to get at least a 24 to be considered at a DO school. Also, your practices scores are usually higher than your actual score.

You won't be ready to take your MCAT July 1. Get your money back.

Yes, MD is out of the question. You really need to get at least a 24 to be considered at a DO school. Also, your practices scores are usually higher than your actual score.

EmmaNemma has it right, anything below a 24 is gambling dangerously for DO and MD is absolutely out of the question. I would also recommend taking the latest AAMC practice test on e-mcat.com which should be 10 or 11 at this point. The free test is from long, long, long ago, and will not give you a good idea of how you will score. The latest test will put you within a point or two.

Thanks for your reply guys! Would September be too late to take MCAT (with ahope to get like 26)?

Yes. Unless you're scoring in the 30s, I wouldn't apply in September. It's too much money to risk applying that late, given that by then, your application won't be verified for something like 6 weeks, which means schools won't even get your application until late October/early November. By then, they'll be scheduling interviews into January and February, when most of the class is filled.

I hate to say it but Kaplan's tests are notorious for having inflated VR scores. Get ExamKrackers 101 Verbal Passages and also TPR's Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook. Go through those and get your times down to 7 1/2 minutes and you should be good to go.

Check into this thread as well: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898
I raised my AAMC practice score by 7 points after doing the 3 month version. I averaged 29 on the upper numbered practice AAMC tests and scored 29 on the real thing. If your GPA is on the lower end like mine (3.27) go with the 3 month guide above, it's the best thing you can do to improve your MCAT imo. You could start mid June and test mid September then apply by October. I submitted 3 apps all November and later and interviewed at all 3. Good luck and pm me if you have any questions about SN2ed's guide!

I was told by the company that I am doing MCAT prep with, not to take it until I'm averaging 35s on my practice tests

Hold on here people... Firstly, it was a Kaplan test, secondly, my AAMC practice tests went like this: 21, 28, 25, 27, 31... and that change was in 6 weeks. OP, take some AAMC tests and if your biggest obstacle is reading, that will be a problem, learn to take notes, and used the highlight feature in the AAMC tests. 35$ is well worth it...

Thanks guys...I am planning to go over content again from TBR (Chem + Bio) and then take Kaplan FL # 2 on Monday; Then, some more review and FL's...hopefully some improvement gradually...As far as AAMC, I am planning to save them until like mid-June. From Mid June to 1st 2 weeks of July, planning to finish all AAMC exam if score will trend upwards...what do you think?

I guess since you have a year to use them, I would take the free AAMC now, and see how it goes. It's free and you can take it forever... so, there's no reason to use a Kaplan FL instead of AAMC #3...

Not necessarily. People get in with a 23. Not many, but they do get in. Obviously you want to aim higher than that.

Thanks guys...I am planning to go over content again from TBR (Chem + Bio) and then take Kaplan FL # 2 on Monday; Then, some more review and FL's...hopefully some improvement gradually...As far as AAMC, I am planning to save them until like mid-June. From Mid June to 1st 2 weeks of July, planning to finish all AAMC exam if score will trend upwards...what do you think?

The more passages you do the better and spend most of your time reviewing questions. Figure out why you got right or wrong and find weak spots in curriculum then do passages and read into those sections. I'd complete at least 10 FL's and time yourself on every section. Also time every passage you do outside of FL's. Take FL's in random public libraries and you'll get used to focusing with distractions and eliminate any help a familiar setting is giving you. Definitely buy all AAMC's and do those last. Then if you're happy with your average upper numbered AAMC's you're ready.

Your sciences aren't bad so I'd really hammer verbal passages first. I was getting 6's on AAMC's until I did all EK and TPR's verbal then started getting 9's and 10's.

Great suggestions! Thank you...

The more passages you do the better and spend most of your time reviewing questions. Figure out why you got right or wrong and find weak spots in curriculum then do passages and read into those sections. I'd complete at least 10 FL's and time yourself on every section. Also time every passage you do outside of FL's. Take FL's in random public libraries and you'll get used to focusing with distractions and eliminate any help a familiar setting is giving you. Definitely buy all AAMC's and do those last. Then if you're happy with your average upper numbered AAMC's you're ready.

Your sciences aren't bad so I'd really hammer verbal passages first. I was getting 6's on AAMC's until I did all EK and TPR's verbal then started getting 9's and 10's.

FL # 1 = PS 8 BS 8 VR 5 (21) Date : May 19

FL # 2 = PS 7 BS 8 VR 7 (22) Date : June 1

Missed 7 questions completely blank in PS; did not have time to read 2 passages in PS and 2 passages in BS; 2 passages in VR

The best advice I received for the MCAT is to spend 2-3 times as much time reviewing as taking the exam. Dissect each question and you will catch on to patterns.

FL # 3 = PS 8 BS 9 VR 8 (25) Date : June 4

Missed 7 questions completely blank in PS; did not have time to read 2 passages in PS and 2 passages in BS; 2 passages in VR