Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

When will DO schools cut OMM loose?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Noomm, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Noomm

Noomm Account on Hold
    Account on Hold

Pre-Medical
    I don't have the hard facts, but it seems that 90% of the new generation of DO's don't actually believe in OMM; they just went to DO schools because they wanted to be doctors. As the new generation enters leadership roles within the AOA, I think it's only a matter of time before OMM is officially cut out of the DO curriculum.

What year do you guys predict this will happen in?

Also, how do you think it will happen?

Personally, I predict that in 2024 osteopathic medical schools will phase out OMM. I can't see them wanting to give up their "edge" over MD schools, though, so I think that they'll probably instead shift to teaching actual physical therapy techniques.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Doctoblast

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Seeing as it's a fundamental aspect of the DO philosophy, I would say never.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    schlitter22, GUH and ilustrisimo08 like this.
  3. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Never.

4. You're My Boy Blue

You're My Boy Blue Second Time's a Charm
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The OMM curriculum is additional to medical training, not substitutional. It's not taking away from any medical education. If you don't want to use it, you don't have to, but either way learning OMM isn't going to make you a less skilled physician or give MD schools an "edge"

The "edge" that most MD schools have over DO is reputation, not training or skill level

5. asdf123g

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Never and I dont think it should ever happen.

6. Drrrrrr. Celty

Drrrrrr. Celty Osteo Dullahan
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think fundamentally it will always remain within the curriculum. That being said I could possibly see one day particular aspects get removed.

AlteredScale likes this.
  7. IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808 Akuma residency or bust!
    5+ Year Member

Dr. A. T. Stills would rise out of his grave if that happened.