When would I want to do a postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok here's my situation

GPA: 2.4
MCAT: Haven't taken

Obviously I want to raise my GPA. I am a junior, will be a senior this fall.

Please tell me a short summary of how would I apply for a Post bac program?

Much Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

tik-tik-clock said:
Ok here's my situation

GPA: 2.4
MCAT: Haven't taken

Obviously I want to raise my GPA. I am a junior, will be a senior this fall.

Please tell me a short summary of how would I apply for a Post bac program?

Much Thanks

Get your GPA up as high as possible your senior year. Don't take any more sciences or prereqs, since you will be taking/retaking them later. Have you taken prereqs already? At any rate, you need to start looking into what postbac programs in your area (or wherever you would be willing to go) will let you in with your ultimate undergrad GPA, since many of the more formal ones will not be open to someone with a GPA far below a 3.0. Just bear in mind that you ultimately will need a GPA significantly higher than what you have, so this process will take time (likely years).

What if I took Science courses in my senior year and managed to bring up my GPA upto 3.4?

Will that make me stand in a better position to apply to MD schools? I have enough ECs. And what if I do very good on the MCAT. WIll I still have to do a post bac program?

Thanks

tik-tik-clock said:
What if I took Science courses in my senior year and managed to bring up my GPA upto 3.4?

Will that make me stand in a better position to apply to MD schools? I have enough ECs. And what if I do very good on the MCAT. WIll I still have to do a post bac program?

Thanks

If your cum GPA was a 3.4 and your BCPM is close to that and you break 30 on the MCAT, then sure, you probably will not need a postbac - lots of people get into med school with those numbers. Seems a bit unlikely coming into your senior year with a 2.4 though -- wouldn't you need to get all A's carrying a heavier load? Another, better option might be to do a fifth year of undergrad instead of graduating, to pump up the GPA and pick up the sciences. Good luck!