When would you give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slick27

controversial
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many times would you apply? take the MCAT? try to improve your application before giving up?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't really thought about it, but I know someone who took the MCAT/reapplied 5 times, finally got in, graduated in the top 5% of his class and is doing an ortho residency now. I guess persistence pays off! And maybe the MCAT isn't the best predictor of future success in med school and beyond.

How bad do you really want it.... To every problem their is a solution, it is just the matter of how hard you want to push for it. Sometimes you really need to think outside the box to achieve what you are looking for.
Also... I think their should not be shame associated with choosing another path especially if it is not a matter of giving up but instead finding something that will be a better fit for you. Our time on this earth is really brief (even if you are the guy that lives till he is 102), you need to figure out what you want to do with that time. Becoming a doctor is extremely time consuming endeavor and for some it really isn't even much of an option, they can't see themselves happily being anything else...if this is you then I am not sure if tier are “too many times”. But if you are seeing your interest shift and you can see yourself happy in another field go for it and pursue it with as much fervor as you are pursing medicine. Be Happy!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't really thought about it, but I know someone who took the MCAT/reapplied 5 times, finally got in, graduated in the top 5% of his class and is doing an ortho residency now. I guess persistence pays off! And maybe the MCAT isn't the best predictor of future success in med school and beyond.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

I personally would keep on trying indefinitely until I got in. I'm determined to be a doctor and I won't let anything stop me. If I get rejected, I guess I'll get a job in a molecular biology lab or something like that and keep on trying.

I would apply only twice. If I don't get in after the second time, then it just wasn't meant to be and I'd pursue other career options.

I would keep trying til the day I die.

I would keep trying til the day I die.

There comes a time when you should cut your losses and move onto something else. One of my TA's applied 5 times until he finally got in this past cycle, but I just think that's a waste of time.

For me it was max 2 times but I ended up getting in this year. Personally I would like to be making money before my ovaries dry up.

i think i would give up once i realized it was just a career goal not a dream, but it would take a while to comprehend this.

I'd like to say that I'd try indefinitely and never give up because it's such a big dream of mine for a few years now, but realistically I'd probably try 2 or 3 times and decide it wasn't meant to be. I'd still do something in medicine though, be it a PA or a nurse.