Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

When would you give up?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by slick27, Jun 20, 2008.

1. slick27

slick27 controversial
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    How many times would you apply? take the MCAT? try to improve your application before giving up?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MILK07

MILK07 Silence, I kill you!!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I haven't really thought about it, but I know someone who took the MCAT/reapplied 5 times, finally got in, graduated in the top 5% of his class and is doing an ortho residency now. I guess persistence pays off! And maybe the MCAT isn't the best predictor of future success in med school and beyond.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DenaliView

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How bad do you really want it.... To every problem their is a solution, it is just the matter of how hard you want to push for it. Sometimes you really need to think outside the box to achieve what you are looking for.
    Also... I think their should not be shame associated with choosing another path especially if it is not a matter of giving up but instead finding something that will be a better fit for you. Our time on this earth is really brief (even if you are the guy that lives till he is 102), you need to figure out what you want to do with that time. Becoming a doctor is extremely time consuming endeavor and for some it really isn't even much of an option, they can't see themselves happily being anything else...if this is you then I am not sure if tier are “too many times”. But if you are seeing your interest shift and you can see yourself happy in another field go for it and pursue it with as much fervor as you are pursing medicine. Be Happy!!!

4. Karen12345

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

5. Hyperstudyosis

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I personally would keep on trying indefinitely until I got in. I'm determined to be a doctor and I won't let anything stop me. If I get rejected, I guess I'll get a job in a molecular biology lab or something like that and keep on trying.

6. MDPrincess

Removed

Pre-Medical
    I would apply only twice. If I don't get in after the second time, then it just wasn't meant to be and I'd pursue other career options.

7. student12x

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I would keep trying til the day I die.

8. MDPrincess

Removed

Pre-Medical
    There comes a time when you should cut your losses and move onto something else. One of my TA's applied 5 times until he finally got in this past cycle, but I just think that's a waste of time.

9. Dazedinvt

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For me it was max 2 times but I ended up getting in this year. Personally I would like to be making money before my ovaries dry up.

10. anon y mous

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    thank you.

#10 anon y mous, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  11. wonderworld1

Removed

Pre-Medical
    i think i would give up once i realized it was just a career goal not a dream, but it would take a while to comprehend this.

12. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I got in on my 3rd try.

13. MDPrincess

Removed

Pre-Medical
    Third time turned out to be the charm. :D

14. neuro1617

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'd like to say that I'd try indefinitely and never give up because it's such a big dream of mine for a few years now, but realistically I'd probably try 2 or 3 times and decide it wasn't meant to be. I'd still do something in medicine though, be it a PA or a nurse.