When you reject the school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babnik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if you guys send any kind of letter saying why you didn't choose their program. Im thinking this would probably serve as an insurance if I apply to the school for future residency. Is an Email ok, or is a physical letter necessary? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just wondering if you guys send any kind of letter saying why you didn't choose their program. Im thinking this would probably serve as an insurance if I apply to the school for future residency. Is an Email ok, or is a physical letter necessary? thanks.

A physical letter is not necessary, and seems like it would be more of a hassle anyway...an email is instant, so they can immediately free up that spot and grab an anxiously waiting person off the alternate list. Schools know that not everyone they accept will attend, so that's why most accept more people than the size of their class...you don't really have to feel guilty about "rejecting" a school.

Email is perfectly fine (like victoria said above, i honestly think they prefer emails over an actual letter) . I sent emails to the schools whom I declined offers from and they all responded thanking me for informing them of my decision. I think it's best to keep the letters concise (i.e. start off by saying you regretfully have to decline, then just thank them for giving you a chance...etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
Email is perfectly fine although a few schools require that you send them a hard copy no matter what. Also, I think putting why you didnt choose their school gives them useful feedback and Im sure they would appreciate it.