Where are you applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All Clinical PhD programs, except where noted:

University at Albany
University of Louisville
Penn State
University of Maryland College Park (PhD, Counseling)
Fordham University
University of Tennessee
Bowling Green State University
Duquesne University
University of Kentucky
American University
Kent State
Ohio University
Rutgers University (PsyD)
St. John’s University
University of Toledo

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Gabo --

We seem to be the only ones here going in this direction. :laugh: I'm guessing you arranged your list in order of preference. Just wanted to say hi -- and good luck to you these coming months! :thumbup:

You encouraged me to post, actually.:D There is no order to the list. Good luck to you, too! PM me whenever.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ ha... i know... Binghamton seems popular... may as well start crossing that one off :lol:

I interviewed at Binghamton last year. I can tell you a little bit of info if you are interested.

do you think being a minority makes that big of a difference? i haven't really heard that much about it.
yes. if you are also a good candidate. my joke during interviews last year was "never underestimate the power of being a highly qualified latina."

it can make a big difference when it comes to funding. i know that my program was able to take me because i landed a graduate school fellowship for minority students. but then again, they might have found a way to fund me if i hadn't gotten the fellowship, but it helped.

These are I/O PhD programs..any feedback would be great!

University of South Florida
George Mason
DePaul University
University of Tennessee
FLorida International University
Portland State University
Columbia- Teachers College
Baruch College- CUNY
Hofstra University
Colorado State
Maryland
Rice University
University of Houston

(I am up in the air about GW, Illinois Institute of Tech and Albany)-- any feedback would be sooo appreciated! Thanks

PGSP-Stanford PsyD Consortium
MSPP
UDenver PsyD
:)

yes. if you are also a good candidate. my joke during interviews last year was "never underestimate the power of being a highly qualified latina."

it can make a big difference when it comes to funding. i know that my program was able to take me because i landed a graduate school fellowship for minority students. but then again, they might have found a way to fund me if i hadn't gotten the fellowship, but it helped.

My program awarded me a departmental fellowship in addition to my stipend because of this, and quite a few programs actually have similar fellowships for which your POI can apply for on your behalf once you are accepted.

The APA has a Minority Fellowship program for those who are currently in a PHD program or applying to one for the fall. You should check it out to see if you qualify. They also offer post-doc fellowships as well.

These are I/O PhD programs..any feedback would be great!

University of South Florida
George Mason
DePaul University
University of Tennessee
FLorida International University
Portland State University
Columbia- Teachers College
Baruch College- CUNY
Hofstra University
Colorado State
Maryland
Rice University
University of Houston

(I am up in the air about GW, Illinois Institute of Tech and Albany)-- any feedback would be sooo appreciated! Thanks

This is stuff I noticed when I was applying 3 years ago, Columbia is very Org. focused, basically an OB program. Rice has very specific research focuses (a lot of diversity work) so if you are interested in that go for it, but I don't know how much variation you would get outside of this. The head of our psychology department just left Rice a few years ago and was a big I/O guy there. University of Houston has slowly dwindled away, I am not sure how many faculty are even still there (used to be a top program though). All the other programs on your list look good. The only one I applied to that is on your list was Depaul.

As far as your up in the air programs, GW is still very Org. focused too, they don't have any faculty on the I side (last I saw) I was turned away from them because my SOP said I was interested in selection and training (both I topics). They told me they would forward my application to their HR master's program where I would be a better fit. I heard Illinois Institute takes in a large quantity of students (20-30) and then weeds them out, a professor told me to steer clear of programs like that.

Just curious, why do you have FIU and USF on your list but not UCF?

do you think being a minority makes that big of a difference? i haven't really heard that much about it.

Ethnic minority, probably helps, especially for minority funding opps. LGBT minority? May help at some schools, may hurt at ones with religious bents. Minority as in "physically disabled"? Nope, probably hurts you a fair amount, actually.

RE: "Just curious, why do you have FIU and USF on your list but not UCF?"

Thanks very much for your response, IOPsych! i really appreciate the feedback...I am interested in the I side, however I live in New York and couldn't resist applying to Columbia. I am at Baruch right now for my M.S in I/O and I am presently doing an independent thesis which focuses around diversity, so Rice sounds good.

Interesting about Houston, a faculty member told me to add it to my list last minute, so I did not actually have time to research them in great detail.

I noticed that about IIT (high acceptance rate)...I will most likely steer clear. Do you know anything at all about Albany by chance?

Initially I only had South Fla on my list and then a faculty adviser (same as Houston) told me to apply to International as well. I suppose I just didn't look into Central...is that where you go?

Thanks again! Glad to see an I/O person on here...I was beginning to feel a bit out of place.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as your up in the air programs, GW is still very Org. focused too, they don't have any faculty on the I side (last I saw) I was turned away from them because my SOP said I was interested in selection and training (both I topics). They told me they would forward my application to their HR master's program where I would be a better fit. I heard Illinois Institute takes in a large quantity of students (20-30) and then weeds them out, a professor told me to steer clear of programs like that.

Message #2 to you:

based on what you said about GW and your SOP I now know that I need to be very careful in what I write! Wow...thanks for that advice- I am working on my statements right now...its a big job being that we have tailor each one.

Thanks again ( i hope you got my previous message as well)...

Minority as in "physically disabled"? Nope, probably hurts you a fair amount, actually.

I don't know about this. There are two reasons grad schools want minority students:

1) They increase the diversity of the school, program, and/or field.

2) They have a greater possibility of bringing in external funding since there are so many grants and fellowships set aside for minority students.

Physical disability falls into both categories. In the case of point 2) I know of several funding opportunities which either explicitly include physical disability under the definition of "minority" or define diversity broadly.

PM me if you want more details. :)

I'm thinking of appying to the clinical psyd programs at:
Indianapolis
Carlos Albizu University
Indiana State
Memorial
Nova Southeastern University
Marywood
Xavier Univeristy

Is anyone currently enrolled?.. or have any useful information?
Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
It was a long month (and expensive! my family will be getting x-mas gifts made of popsicle sticks and soy cheese pizza munchie boxes!)

University of South Carolina
University of Virginia
DePaul University
Loyola
UMass Amherst
Miami University (Ohio)
University of Massachusetts Boston
University of Miami (FL)
Suffolk
UT Austin
George Washington University
University of Maryland Baltimore County
San Diego State University/University of California San Diego
U Minnesota institute of child deveopment
University of Rhode Island
University of Denver
Virginia Tech
U Memphis

Alright, if everyone else is doing it, I guess I will too. All of mine are clinical Ph.D.:

Catholic
Cincinnati (don't worry, neuropsyance - I'm not going for anything neuroscience-related, and they are near the bottom of my list anyways).
Georgia State
George Mason
George Washington
UMBC
Loyola-Chicago
Kansas
Wisconsin-Milwaukee
South Florida
Vanderbilt
University of Virginia (not the combined program)
Virginia Commonwealth

I'd be happy any of those places... I just hope I get to go to one of them!

we have alot of overlap- are you interested in clinical community?

Alright, if everyone else is doing it, I guess I will too. All of mine are clinical Ph.D.:

Catholic
Cincinnati (don't worry, neuropsyance - I'm not going for anything neuroscience-related, and they are near the bottom of my list anyways).
Georgia State
George Mason
George Washington
UMBC
Loyola-Chicago
Kansas
Wisconsin-Milwaukee
South Florida
Vanderbilt
University of Virginia (not the combined program)
Virginia Commonwealth

I'd be happy any of those places... I just hope I get to go to one of them!

I'm applying to Loyola and Virginia commonwealth too! Who are you looking to work with?

It was a long month (and expensive! my family will be getting x-mas gifts made of popsicle sticks and soy cheese pizza munchie boxes!)

University of South Carolina
University of Virginia
DePaul University
Loyola
UMass Amherst
Miami University (Ohio)
University of Massachusetts Boston
University of Miami (FL)
Suffolk
UT Austin
George Washington University
University of Maryland Baltimore County
San Diego State University/University of California San Diego
U Minnesota institute of child deveopment
University of Rhode Island
University of Denver
Virginia Tech
U Memphis

Lol, I said nearly the same thing (though I am a regular cheese girl, myself!)-- I'm sure Popsicle stick presents are totally in this year!! :laugh:

I'll bite ;)

Stanford (Personality program)
University of Denver University of Maryland, College Park
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Univ. of Illinois at Chicago
State University of New York, Binghamton
Yale
Temple
Rutgers

Yes, they are all very competitive schools but I have my reasons and they are all based on my closest research matches.

I realize it is risky to have no safeties but I don't want to apply anywhere I won't be able to work on studies that best match my interests. I'm older so I figure if I've waited this long I may as well go for what I really want. and my stats are halfway decent so who knows ;)

Is that your dog in your photo?

Can I ask what you would like to research? Which lab are you focussed on at Stanford?

Clinical Programs
- DePaul University
- CUNY
- Rutgers (PsyD)
- George Washington University
- St. John's University
- SDSU/UCSD Joint Program

Any thoughts?

I'm at Rutgers PsyD... feel free to PM if you have any questions... and good luck!

Hi social cog,

I would like to study etiology of depression, especially the interaction of stress hormones & genetic predisposition. Also interested in looking at sex differences in depression & their emergence in adolescents. I would love to be a part of Dr. Gotlib's Mood & Anxiety lab at Stanford.

How exciting! After perusing your list I wondered if you were interested in emotion science, having listed a personality lab at Stanford (Gross) and University of Denver (Mauss) immediately after.

Best of luck to you!

RE: "Just curious, why do you have FIU and USF on your list but not UCF?"

Thanks very much for your response, IOPsych! i really appreciate the feedback...I am interested in the I side, however I live in New York and couldn't resist applying to Columbia. I am at Baruch right now for my M.S in I/O and I am presently doing an independent thesis which focuses around diversity, so Rice sounds good.

Interesting about Houston, a faculty member told me to add it to my list last minute, so I did not actually have time to research them in great detail.

I noticed that about IIT (high acceptance rate)...I will most likely steer clear. Do you know anything at all about Albany by chance?

Initially I only had South Fla on my list and then a faculty adviser (same as Houston) told me to apply to International as well. I suppose I just didn't look into Central...is that where you go?

Thanks again! Glad to see an I/O person on here...I was beginning to feel a bit out of place.

Yes I do, I am just curious why I see it listed as choice so seldom by people on these boards I see applying. I am not sure what you are interested in but I thought you mentioned diversity research, you should look into Robert Dipboye and Barbara Fritzsche's research. They both do work on diversity. If you have any more questions about the application process, etc., feel free to let me know. I couldn't really find much help when I was looking at potential schools, so I like to help others, we don't have the support system (ala active forums) like the clinical folks have. haha.

University of Tx-Austin
University of Missouri
University of TN (Counseling)
University of MI-Wisconsin
University of Rochester
Florida State University
Washington University in St. Louis
Washington State University
University of Kansas
Louisiana State University (most likely will apply here)
University of Nevada-Reno

How exciting! After perusing your list I wondered if you were interested in emotion science, having listed a personality lab at Stanford (Gross) and University of Denver (Mauss) immediately after.

Best of luck to you!

Cool. Thanks.

Last edited:
I didn't know that this site existed until a few days ago - what a great resource! I'm applying to the following:
PhD:
Catholic
American
George Washington
George Mason
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
PsyD:
Loyola (MD)
Rutgers
Virginia Consortium
LaSalle

I didn't know that this site existed until a few days ago - what a great resource! I'm applying to the following:
PhD:
Catholic
American
George Washington
George Mason
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
PsyD:
Loyola (MD)
Rutgers
Virginia Consortium
LaSalle

Who are your POIs at American, GW, and GMU?

PhD:
Catholic
American
George Washington
George Mason
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
PsyD:
Loyola (MD)
Rutgers
Virginia Consortium
LaSalle

I'm applying to all the same PhD. programs. Who are your POIs?

Ethnic minority, probably helps, especially for minority funding opps. LGBT minority? May help at some schools, may hurt at ones with religious bents. Minority as in "physically disabled"? Nope, probably hurts you a fair amount, actually.

How do you demonstrate that you are a LGBT minority? I am not, but I am familiar with race boxes not ones for sexuality. Or is this something that you volunteer by integrating it into a SOP or some sort of essay?

How do you demonstrate that you are a LGBT minority? I am not, but I am familiar with race boxes not ones for sexuality. Or is this something that you volunteer by integrating it into a SOP or some sort of essay?

Pictures are worth a 1000 words, LOL.

Mark

I'll bite ;)

Stanford (Personality program)
University of Denver University of Maryland, College Park
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Univ. of Illinois at Chicago
State University of New York, Binghamton
Yale
Temple
Rutgers

Yes, they are all very competitive schools but I have my reasons and they are all based on my closest research matches.

I realize it is risky to have no safeties but I don't want to apply anywhere I won't be able to work on studies that best match my interests. I'm older so I figure if I've waited this long I may as well go for what I really want. and my stats are halfway decent so who knows ;)

Is that your dog in your photo?

Given your interests I bet we are applying to the same people at Yale and Temple, and possibly (but not likely Denver) -- I am guessing you went with Hankin on that one.

It's scary to actually connect a person to the numbers I know I am competing against. It makes things much less abstract and much more real.

Best of luck!

Self-disclosure through SOPs, POI contact and/or interviews.

It's good to see people talking about UW-Milwaukee. I go there right now (undergrad of course) but the faculty is great and so is the program from what I gather!

Wisconsin's a great place to live, as well. I miss it!

Given your interests I bet we are applying to the same people at Yale and Temple, and possibly (but not likely Denver) -- I am guessing you went with Hankin on that one.

It's scary to actually connect a person to the numbers I know I am competing against. It makes things much less abstract and much more real.

Best of luck!

It is kinda scary to see someone with your POI on here, it does feel real. I like that real feeling though.

If it makes you feel better, I decided against Yale. The research match was not strong enough. So your interests may not completely match mine.

I hope we meet up on the interview trail. I think that would be cool to meet SDNers even if they are the competition.

Last edited:
Thanks for kicking off this thread AryaStark! Also glad to see so many GRRM fans on this forum (Jon Snow also comes to mind). I've been lurking a bit during the application process and I thought I'd join in the calvalcade.

I'm interested in adult neuropsychology so I applied to all programs where they offer a specialty track and/or there are a good number of faculty doing NP work...only exception is UMCP because I might have the opportunity to do collaborative research with a Neurology lab at Johns Hopkins (where I currently work).

Feinberg Shool of Medicine/Northwestern Univ
San Diego State/Univ Cal San Diego
Uniformed Services Univ of Health Sciences (civilian track)
Univ Alabama @ Birmingham
Univ Cincinnati
Univ Florida
Univ Illinois @ Chicago
Univ Kentucky
Univ Maryland, College Park
Vanderbilt
Virginia Consortium

We are all in this together and I wish everyone the best of luck!

Thanks for kicking off this thread AryaStark! Also glad to see so many GRRM fans on this forum (Jon Snow also comes to mind). I've been lurking a bit during the application process and I thought I'd join in the calvalcade.

I'm interested in adult neuropsychology so I applied to all programs where they offer a specialty track and/or there are a good number of faculty doing NP work...only exception is UMCP because I might have the opportunity to do collaborative research with a Neurology lab at Johns Hopkins (where I currently work).

Feinberg Shool of Medicine/Northwestern Univ
San Diego State/Univ Cal San Diego
Uniformed Services Univ of Health Sciences (civilian track)
Univ Alabama @ Birmingham
Univ Cincinnati
Univ Florida
Univ Illinois @ Chicago
Univ Kentucky
Univ Maryland, College Park
Vanderbilt
Virginia Consortium

We are all in this together and I wish everyone the best of luck!

Who is your POI at Cincinnati?

All Clinical PhD programs, except where noted:

University at Albany
University of Louisville
Penn State
University of Maryland College Park (PhD, Counseling)
Fordham University
University of Tennessee
Bowling Green State University
Duquesne University
University of Kentucky
American University
Kent State
Ohio University
Rutgers University (PsyD)
St. John’s University
University of Toledo

Who is your POI at University of Toledo?