Where can I get info on PhD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msf41

AADSAS = rip off
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been trying to find out some information about PhD programs in psychology. I know little about this area so in an effort to explore the field I was wondering a few things:
1) what are the pre-requisites for PhD psychology programs (specifically counciling)
2) What jobs can you do as a PhD in psychology? Work in hospitals, clinics, or what?
3) What are the steps to getting accepted to a PhD in psychology program?
4) What is the average income that PhD's in psychology make? (I ask this because I wonder if they make enough to offset the cost of schooling. Plus lifestyle)

If anyone could share any comments or point me in the right direction to find out this kind of information please let me know.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

msf41 said:
Hi everyone. I have been trying to find out some information about PhD programs in psychology. I know little about this area so in an effort to explore the field I was wondering a few things:
1) what are the pre-requisites for PhD psychology programs (specifically counciling)
2) What jobs can you do as a PhD in psychology? Work in hospitals, clinics, or what?
3) What are the steps to getting accepted to a PhD in psychology program?
4) What is the average income that PhD's in psychology make? (I ask this because I wonder if they make enough to offset the cost of schooling. Plus lifestyle)

If anyone could share any comments or point me in the right direction to find out this kind of information please let me know.

thanks

I worked for 30 years for myself. I worked as hard as I wanted and set my own fee schedule.

APA publishes a book, well several on your topics. Go to a university library and read them. I always use the library.

4 year degree, may not but ususally is in psych. GRE test and apply.

I never went in debt. It depends on your graduate school and area you are located.

APA=American Psychological Association.

http://www.apa.org/ a lot of stuff hiding.

I am better with specfic questions.

GL

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are interested in becoming a clinician then go the Psy.D. route. As a practitioner who has both doctorates, this is what is best for undergrads to pursue at this time. Hammer is going to bash me for this, but it is true!

:D

I don't think there are any PsyD programs in counseling, though.

msf41,

several others have been helpful as well, but as to the second part of your question - i'd recommend checking out or buying a copy of "career paths in psychology - where your degree can take you" edited by robert j. sternberg. it's the best book on the subject i've come across so far, and a common resource cited elsewhere...

hope that helps!

5{\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0If you are interested in becoming a clinician then go the Psy.D. route. As a practitioner who has both doctorates, this is what is best for undergrads to pursue at this time. Hammer is going to bash me for this, but it is true!

:D[/QUOTE]

psisci,

as for your suggestion, and to take the thread in a slightly different direction - i'm more interested in clinical work and teaching than research myself - but it's pretty daunting to consider a PsyD when nearly all the APA-accredited programs seem to exist in freestanding schools that charge tens, in not well over a hundred thousand dollars for an education! to top that off, everything i read seems to suggest that paid assistantships, stipends, tuition waivers, etc. are much easier to come by in PhD programs. did you just bite the bullet and pay yourself, or is there a better way around all this if one primarily wants to teach and be a clinician without taking on a staggering amount of debt?!?

thanks...

If you are going to get a PsyD degree and you aren't getting funding, I hope that you are getting funding from mommy and daddy because psychologists on average don't make enough these days to pay back over 100k in loans. I'm sure it can be done, but please be wary.

PsychMode said:
If you are going to get a PsyD degree and you aren't getting funding, I hope that you are getting funding from mommy and daddy because psychologists on average don't make enough these days to pay back over 100k in loans. I'm sure it can be done, but please be wary.

That won't be the case, unfortunately. No trust fund here, and that's honestly what gives me pause about this whole endeavor. It's extremely frustrating to think that the only route to a PsyD degree has six zeros attached onto the end of it. An MFT seems a bit more feasible for me at this point, so I'm exploring that option as well. I wish there were a less expensive way to do all this. The work involved in getting a doctorate doesn't faze me for a second, but the notion of how much debt that is surely does! I've not ruled out a PhD yet, but I've got a lot of work to do to become competitive first as I'd be enrolling as a mature student that's been out of school for over five years now. My own predicament's a bit farther down this page ("non-psych major considering phd vs. psyd options"), in case anyone can offer advice - as you can see based on the responses, I've not gotten much help thus far...

Sorry to lead the discussion in a different direction than the original thread, I do appreciate the help though!