Where can I intern????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbieme

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Here is my situation.......

I am a foreign medical graduate. I went to a Caribbean Medical School. I have not been able to secure a residency spot.

All that being said, I am looking to find out what are my other options for doing an intern year. I am willing to go to other countries other countries to intern but I am not finding much info on them and the countries that I have found info on(ie Australia/New Zealand) require that I am already registered as a physician (which doesn't make sense to me seeing that and intern year has to be completed for me to register as a physician and I am seeking an intern position).

I am also open to other fields of medicine but I can't find any research that doesn't require that I be a resident or green card holder in the US.

So what I am looking to find out is if there are any other options for me and how I can go about pursing them.

Any constructive advice is more than welcomed.

Thanks
Newbieme

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In some parts of the world u dont need to do internship as the medical education already includes the internship.
In the Uk for instance you write a series of tests and tries to land a hOusemanship position. I suspect NZ and Australia will be kind of similar. So yes basically you need to graduate as a doctor and write a series of exams and qualify as a physician there before you can practice there. In summary its not every where that requires internship. They require you to qualify as a doctor, get a housemanship positions, and after x number of months get a permamnent license

thanks for replying Robinho

I think a houseman position is basically the same as an internship from what I was reading....correct me if I am wrong... I really am just trying to understand this whole thing.

Do you know anything about the series of exams for the UK?

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated

Hey Everyone!

Here is my situation.......

I am a foreign medical graduate who was born in in the Caribbean and I am currently living there as well. I went to a Caribbean Medical School and did my clinical rotation in the US. I graduated medical school three years ago. I have completed all USMLE steps however I have not been able to secure a residency spot.

All that being said, I am looking to find out what are my other options for doing an intern year. I am willing to go to other countries other countries to intern but I am not finding much info on them and the countries that I have found info on(ie Australia/New Zealand) require that I am already registered as a physician (which doesn't make sense to me seeing that and intern year has to be completed for me to register as a physician and I am seeking an intern position).

I am also open to other fields of medicine but I can't find any research that doesn't require that I be a resident or green card holder in the US.

So what I am looking to find out is if there are any other options for me and how I can go about pursing them.

Any constructive advice is more than welcomed.

Thanks
Newbieme

What red flags are you not sharing that you cannot secure a family med or internal med position at some random small community program in the US?

Felony? Multiple failed steps? Visa issues? Every year there are community IM programs that do not fill, there is something wrong with your history. Also, how have you taken step 3 if it requires 1 year of post-grad training to be eligible to sit?

Reactions: 1 user
What red flags are you not sharing that you cannot secure a family med or internal med position at some random small community program in the US?

Felony? Multiple failed steps? Visa issues? Every year there are community IM programs that do not fill, there is something wrong with your history. Also, how have you taken step 3 if it requires 1 year of post-grad training to be eligible to sit?

Visa Issues. I did mention that I am a FOREIGN medical graduate (not an international medical grad as most students from the US are).

Also, in some states you don't need to do a PGY-1 in order to sit step 3, so I just applied to a state where that was not required.

Any other (constructive) posts are most welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
This may not be constructive, but I don't understand how the Carribean medical schools can exist without having residency training available after graduation. Seems like very few schools are affiliated with a hospital. That just seems like bad business for the locals such as yourself. They are there just to serve the US/Canada and not think of their own. I come from a different country and while people do want to come to the US post medical school, they have options in their home country.

Have you thought of staying in the Caribbean? Found Trinity school of medicine which offers residency by a quick google search.

This may not be constructive, but I don't understand how the Carribean medical schools can exist without having residency training available after graduation. Seems like very few schools are affiliated with a hospital. That just seems like bad business for the locals such as yourself. They are there just to serve the US/Canada and not think of their own. I come from a different country and while people do want to come to the US post medical school, they have options in their home country.

Have you thought of staying in the Caribbean? Found Trinity school of medicine which offers residency by a quick google search.

Thanks for your post. I should have elaborated on the whole "Caribbean Medical School" thing. I am from the Caribbean but as you know there are many countries that make up the Caribbean. I didn't attend a school in my own country, which is not uncommon.

I guess you are right about most Caribbean schools being geared towards US and Canadian students.

Thanks for your post.

I dont know about how to get into the UK system. What I know is that it is more difficult than the American residency entrance. something to do with EU rules.
Yes getting into residency in the USA is complicated. It is up to you to decide if you want to continue fighting to get in. That requires you basically figuring out how come you not matching and try and add something-externship, research, networking etc.
At least are you able to work in the carribean home country? That will be a consolation if you cant make it.
Look into NZ and Australia. It shouldnt be easy but there could be a way

I dont know about how to get into the UK system. What I know is that it is more difficult than the American residency entrance. something to do with EU rules.
Yes getting into residency in the USA is complicated. It is up to you to decide if you want to continue fighting to get in. That requires you basically figuring out how come you not matching and try and add something-externship, research, networking etc.
At least are you able to work in the carribean home country? That will be a consolation if you cant make it.
Look into NZ and Australia. It shouldnt be easy but there could be a way

Thanks

Because Caribbean med schools are not designed that way. Their purpose is to educate students who still want to practice in the US or Canada, but who, for whatever reason, did not get into a med school there. They were never intended to train locals from the Caribbean who wanted to practice in their own country.