Where Can I rent/lease a Laptop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simpleman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK....so, I am absolutely fed up of looking for a company that would rent me a laptop!!!!!!

I am on the NAVY HPSP and they only allow 500 bucks for rental per year and most companies I researched, they require 250 dollars per month.

Are there companies out there that can rent me a laptop for a year for 500 Dollars? and if so, can you provide me their contact.

I know there is at least one company out there; otherwise, why would the military put that amount for rental.

I asked the Navy personnel and they do not know any company that can rent for me.

I would really appreciate it if you guys have a contact.

Thanks a million

Members don't see this ad.

OK....so, I am absolutely fed up of looking for a company that would rent me a laptop!!!!!!

I am on the NAVY HPSP and they only allow 500 bucks for rental per year and most companies I researched, they require 250 dollars per month.

Are there companies out there that can rent me a laptop for a year for 500 Dollars? and if so, can you provide me their contact.

I know there is at least one company out there; otherwise, why would the military put that amount for rental.

I asked the Navy personnel and they do not know any company that can rent for me.

I would really appreciate it if you guys have a contact.

Thanks a million

Try Dell.

maybe this is an ignorant question but why wouldnt you just buy a laptop with that 500 dollar allowance?

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe this is an ignorant question but why wouldnt you just buy a laptop with that 500 dollar allowance?

This is based on government purchase rules. They will let your lease a computer, but not buy one. Will require and act of Congress to change.
Everyone can agree that it is less than ideal.

can someone post the official verbage about the computer rental rules and an example of the reimbursement form? i can't find them.

Maybe you could get someone(probably not a family member...at least not one with your same last name) to buy a laptop and then lease it to you. Right up a rental agreement and everything to make it legit.

They buy a computer for $1000, lease it to you for 3 years and they've made $500 and then have a "free" three year old laptop at the end of the agreement. Maybe you could even buy it from them after the rental is over. (I say maybe because rent-to-own is not allowed, so this couldn't be in writing.)

The tricky part is finding someone willing to lay out the $1000 and wait for the return on their investment.

Unfortunately, this is a faulty assumption. The $500 figure may be a relic of years ago when there was a company who would do do a $500/year rental. The more cynical among us would propose that the Navy puts that benefit in writing just to lure in recruits, knowing there are no laptops rented at that price and thus they will never have to pay it out. And by the time you figure out the benefit is worthless, it's too late.

Unfortunately, this is a faulty assumption. The $500 figure may be a relic of years ago when there was a company who would do do a $500/year rental. The more cynical among us would propose that the Navy puts that benefit in writing just to lure in recruits, knowing there are no laptops rented at that price and thus they will never have to pay it out. And by the time you figure out the benefit is worthless, it's too late.

Again, check the Dell website.

I think delicatefade once posted that he found a company that was doing this, tailoring specifically to the HPSP crowd. I would love to find out as well. I will send him a PM and see what he says.