Where do I stand at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAPPGG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to several DO schools (all supplementaries in) around the first week of December. I have 2 science, 1 research PI, 1 boss, 1 non-science, 2 MD, 1 DPM letters all part of my composite. I am shadowing 2-3 DOs this month and hope to get a letter. My GPA is a 3.661 (science about 3.47) with a double major and in the honors program. 26 MCAT. I have a lot of extracurricular and shadowing experience. What are my chances of getting in this cycle? Should I start studying for the new MCAT instead of waiting around?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't necessarily have to retake with a 26 as long as you aren't picky on where you want to go.

What schools did you apply to?

pretty low because of how late you applied int he cycle with an average mcat and a decent gpa. If you applied in August you would have had a good chance because from what others have said int his forum, it seems like they only consider applicants with great stats this late. Maybe @Goro can give better advice

Members don't see this ad :)
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

If you haven't gotten your secondaries in yet, then I suspect that at best, you'll be interviewing for a spot on a wait list. My school starts to ration seats by early March historically, and apps are up this year nation wide, meaning that we may fill out Class even sooner.

So it might be worthwhile to think about the next app cycle, and improving your app.

I applied to several DO schools (all supplementaries in) around the first week of December. I have 2 science, 1 research PI, 1 boss, 1 non-science, 2 MD, 1 DPM letters all part of my composite. I am shadowing 2-3 DOs this month and hope to get a letter. My GPA is a 3.661 (science about 3.47) with a double major and in the honors program. 26 MCAT. I have a lot of extracurricular and shadowing experience. What are my chances of getting in this cycle? Should I start studying for the new MCAT instead of waiting around?

My secondaries are all in as of 11/27 for PCOM, 12/1 for NYCOM, 12/3 for CCOM of Midwestern U, 12/3 for Rowan, 12/6 for Touro NY, and 12/4 UNE. @Goro @baxt1412

You possibly applied too top heavy.

I have higher stats than you and I wouldn't have felt comfortable with that list.

Reactions: 1 user
You possibly applied too top heavy.

I have higher stats than you and I wouldn't have felt comfortable with that list.

agreed.

if you are dead set on this cycle, i would add CUSOM, LMU, MUCOM, VCOM-Auburn, ACOM, and maybe LUCOM.

I was hoping to stay in the northeast so that's why I applied to a lot of NY and Philly area schools. Hopefully my experiences pull my application up. I will consider more schools or the next cycle.

agreed.

if you are dead set on this cycle, i would add CUSOM, LMU, MUCOM, VCOM-Auburn, ACOM, and maybe LUCOM.

I probably would add WVSOM, Touro-NV (a little bit of a reach at this point of the cycle), PCOM-ga.

I forgot about WVSOM and am not very familiar with the other two. So thanks for helping OP out.

Your chances are awesome if you can get everything in and apply to lots of lower tier schools! But your chances are exceptional if you wait until next year. I would not retake, maybe because I don't like the mcat lol but also because you can do other things to amp up your application! If you apply early and broadly next year its a DEFINITE =)

Your chances are awesome if you can get everything in and apply to lots of lower tier schools! But your chances are exceptional if you wait until next year. I would not retake, maybe because I don't like the mcat lol but also because you can do other things to amp up your application! If you apply early and broadly next year its a DEFINITE =)
trust me, no one is definite.

Oh absolutely! No one is definite, I guess I should be more careful with wording, thank you for catching that!

Lets try again, you are in great shape and have a promising chance at getting in. I am just trying to spread positive energy! It is scary enough to take the mcat, put so much money in applying, not to mention time and energy, that I feel like we should be realistic and optimistic if possible. Everyone on SDN is so quick to say its definite that you WONT get in or its definite that your stats are too low. Lets uplift each other guys =) Sorry I know I am ranting but been thinking this for a while =)