Where do I stand so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnatomyGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a 26M non-traditional student and I'm planning on applying for the matriculating class of 2013. I just wanted to throw some of my credentials out there to all of you gurus of admissions to see where I stand so far. I'll just do it in list form and explain some details after.

undergrad
graduated 2008 3.76 GPA ~3.4 science
full academic scholarship all 4 years
1 year of molecular biology research on apoptosis
awarded for research posters in state conferences
4 years of club lacrosse where I was an officer
tutoring
Internships with PA dept of agriculture in plant pathology (did a lot of ELISA's)

graduate
graduated 2010 with MS in anatomy, 3.08 GPA***
research in induced pluripotent stem cells for thesis
1 publication in an anesthesiology journal
Graduate teaching assistant to medical students in gross anatomy 2 years

Currently
working as a technician in a local inner city emergency room >1 year (Equal DO/MD exposure)
studying for MCATs, and will take them May 19th
avid runner (2 marathons), biker, outdoorsman
volunteer at local homeless shelters when able

So, to explain the drop in GPA from undergrad to grad, all I can really say is that there was a pretty large family crisis at the time when I first started graduate school. I originally started out as a PhD candidate but was asked to leave due to poor performance. After talking with several program directors (basically begging for another chance) they agreed to allow me to stay as a master's student, but I would lose all tuition assistance and stipends, understandably. I was given the opportunity to take all of my courses over again, which I mostly overcame and conquered. The problem was that the grades were averaged, accounting for the pretty low GPA.

So regardless of my pending MCAT, I just wanted to see where I stand. I really feel that DO is more my mindset, and I feel like I'll be looked at more as a whole at DO schools. I'll be the first to call out my faults, but everyone screws up. Looking back though I feel proud that I was able to peel my face off the ground after falling so many times.

Let me know...and thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Your ECs are fine. Undergrad GPA is good. Graduate GPA is below average (as I'm sure you know). This will probably be a big red flag on your application, but I think as long as you can explain yourself and just own up to it, it won't hurt you as much. FYI-adcoms don't really care about family crises when it comes to grades, so I'd avoid leaning on this as your main reason.

Anyway... given a good MCAT (27+), and that you apply early... I'm sure you'll grab plenty of interviews. Make sure your personal statement and AACOMAS application are solid too.

Your ECs are fine. Undergrad GPA is good. Graduate GPA is below average (as I'm sure you know). This will probably be a big red flag on your application, but I think as long as you can explain yourself and just own up to it, it won't hurt you as much. FYI-adcoms don't really care about family crises when it comes to grades, so I'd avoid leaning on this as your main reason.

Anyway... given a good MCAT (27+), and that you apply early... I'm sure you'll grab plenty of interviews. Make sure your personal statement and AACOMAS application are solid too.

+1. The Grad GPA will hurt, but can be easily made up by a good score on MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
When it comes to grades, adcoms are mainly interested in knowing whether or not you can handle a med school curriculum. Despite flopping in grad school, your undergrad grades show that you can. So as long as your MCAT is good, adcoms will have reason enough to believe that you will be able to handle the rigors of med school. Now you just have to be able to convince them that whatever it was that caused you to do so poorly in grad school is now over.

Thank you all for your input! I don't plan on dwelling on what happened, no one wants to hear a sob story. The plan is to briefly mention the mishap, but really highlight how I've gotten over it. Which I did by rectifying my grades after repeating all the courses. I have great letters and am also working on the MCAT. But thanks for everything!

Get a couple more points on that 2nd MCAT and you should be in great shape. Make it count. Good luck!