Where do I stand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1176515

Primary Submitted: First week of July

Verified: First week of August

Secondaries Submitted: Late August - Late September

Stats: MCAT: 504 --> 508, cGPA: 3.5x, sGPA: 3.4x (Upward Trend at 3.8x+ Junior & Senior Year), Graduate GPA: 3.8x
Activities: Extremely diverse spread across clinical (1k+), non-clinical (400+), research (1k+, 1 JAMA pub, 1 poster, 1 abstract, 2 scoping reviews), shadowing (about 200), and others
Application theme: innovation in medicine and a focus on becoming an interdisciplinary physician
LM 65.70

MD: 32 Secondaries Submitted

Status: 1 II (UCLA), 1 Pre-II Hold (Mayo), 1 Pre-II Waitlist from SIU, 2 R from UMKC & Vanderbilt,

DO: 12 Secondaries Submitted

Status: 4 II's (NYITCOM, LECOM X2, CCOM), 1 Post-II Acceptance to NYITCOM

I have until December to submit my non-refundable deposit to NYITCOM and am looking for advice for the cycle as a whole. My application, personal statement, and experiences focused on exploring the multiple areas of healthcare and focused on innovation to create change as a physician. I was definitely surprised by the UCLA II because of my stats and because I am OOS, but I genuinely am not sure where I stand within the cycle overall and if I should be expecting any more II's or if I should submit the deposit to NYITCOM and just focus on living my life.

Please let me know what you think and if there's any additional info I can give to help y'all advise me!

Members don't see this ad.
 
You might get more II's, especially from the DO list, but I would put down my NYITCOM deposit to make sure I can get into medical school. If the UCLA II turns into an A, you can lose your deposit if you would rather go to UCLA. It happens.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4 users
I was thinking this too. However, it is 1500$ and non-refundable. I have an interview coming up with CCOM in 1 week, and if admitted there but not UCLA I would commit there instead of NYITCOM as it is closer to home (IL resident). I have family in CA and a few other states that I applied to which I would be comfortable relocating to, but no other schools have gotten back to me yet for an II outside of the list I shared above. I have no connection to Arkansas and so I am a bit weary in case I receive future A's. Do you know if CCOM typically releases decisions within a month's time? I have until December 14 for NYITCOM
 
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Would you pay an extra $1500 to attend CCOM rather than NYITCOM? If so, pay the non-refundable deposit to NYITCOM and chalk it up to the cost of choosing CCOM if you are fortunate enough to get an offer there.

On the other hand, if something has come to light that makes you think that you'd rather not go to any medical school than to end up at NYITCOM, then let that offer go and hang on to your $1500.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There’s no benefit to submitting a non refundable deposit before the deadline when you have other options pending. You’re going to be a doctor, focus on living your life, see where the chips fall, and set 10 alarms to remind you to pay your deposit before the offer expires.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
I was thinking this too. However, it is 1500$ and non-refundable. I have an interview coming up with CCOM in 1 week, and if admitted there but not UCLA I would commit there instead of NYITCOM as it is closer to home (I7L resident). I have family in CA and a few other states that I applied to which I would be comfortable relocating to, but no other schools have gotten back to me yet for an II outside of the list I shared above. I have no connection to Arkansas and so I am a bit weary in case I receive future A's. Do you know if CCOM typically releases decisions within a month's time? I have until December 14 for NYITCOM
You will make back the $1,500 when you are an attending. Consider it insurance right now
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Top