Where do most PM&R doctors work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigjayl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have just started to look into the different fields to apply for residency and PM&R kind caught my eye; i have done a fair amount of research on PM&R and plan on doing a rotation in it soon; my question is where do most PM&R doctors work? in a hospital? Private practice? or in groups? and also (personally i have not had much exposure to PM&R doctors both in personal life and in school) is there job security for PM&R's (large client base i guess :) )? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Where the bulk of PM&R docs work is probably tilted less toward hospital based practice and more toward private practice, but we work in all sorts of practice settings. Most physiatrists in private practice work in groups (either pure PM&R or more likely multi-disciplinary), although there are a few soloists still out there.

Job security is good, provided you’re good at what you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just stay away from inpatient imho.

The devil went down to Georgia...

Highly variable with any combination of the above - academic, private, solo, groups, multispecialty, outpt, inpt, urban, suburban, rural.

There just are not that many of us compared to other specialties.