Where do you retake classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batmang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just started exploring the DO route to becoming a physician, and I've noticed it to be a common trend to retake classes to boost GPAs.

I'm not too happy with my current GPA; in fact I believe that's the main reason people decide on DO schools in the first place. If I can retake some classes I did poorly in, I think I can be a much better applicant for the next round of applications.

My question is: at UT, you can't retake a class for a grade unless you got below a C; so, where can I retake classes? Is it frowned upon to retake a 4-5 core classes at a community college?

Members don't see this ad.

I've just started exploring the DO route to becoming a physician, and I've noticed it to be a common trend to retake classes to boost GPAs.

I'm not too happy with my current GPA; in fact I believe that's the main reason people decide on DO schools in the first place. If I can retake some classes I did poorly in, I think I can be a much better applicant for the next round of applications.

My question is: at UT, you can't retake a class for a grade unless you got below a C; so, where can I retake classes? Is it frowned upon to retake a 4-5 core classes at a community college?

There are several reasons to take courses at a CC; closer location, less expensive, night classes, etc. Plenty of people have taken courses at CCs for a multitude of reasons and have gotten by fine. I think the important thing is for you to do GREAT at these classes. As long as you can do that, you should be good.

UT as in Texas? You could probably do them at ACC.

I went to UT, but did not re-take anything. Although I probably should have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, thanks for the responses.
After exploring medical schools abroad and Carib. med schools, I want to avoid that pathway as much as possible. I guess I'll take a year after graduation to retake some classes, and retake the MCAT.

BTW, any suggestions on how to find a DO shadowing opportunity?

There are several reasons to take courses at a CC; closer location, less expensive, night classes, etc. Plenty of people have taken courses at CCs for a multitude of reasons and have gotten by fine. I think the important thing is for you to do GREAT at these classes. As long as you can do that, you should be good.

However, retaking courses is not one of them. Retaking a course at a CC that you did poorly in at a 4-year is just going to "show" the adcoms that the CC had a less rigorous curriculum that the university did. As a result, it's definitely not going to be your best bet. If you were simply taking the course as a refresher for the MCAT or something, I could certainly see that being okay (i.e., you got a good grade the first time and are taking it more to prep for the MCAT or another course cheaply) but as a retake, it won't really look good.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.
After exploring medical schools abroad and Carib. med schools, I want to avoid that pathway as much as possible. I guess I'll take a year after graduation to retake some classes, and retake the MCAT.

BTW, any suggestions on how to find a DO shadowing opportunity?
Again, are you at Texas? Go volunteer at Brack in the ER. I used to work there. There are several DO's that work there. Rice, Hurst, Torbert, Crocker... a few others I think.

However, retaking courses is not one of them. Retaking a course at a CC that you did poorly in at a 4-year is just going to "show" the adcoms that the CC had a less rigorous curriculum that the university did. As a result, it's definitely not going to be your best bet. If you were simply taking the course as a refresher for the MCAT or something, I could certainly see that being okay (i.e., you got a good grade the first time and are taking it more to prep for the MCAT or another course cheaply) but as a retake, it won't really look good.

This is debatable. Plenty of people have retaken pre-reqs at a CC and are going to medical school. If one has the option of retaking the course at their university, then I agree that that is a much better option, but since the OP doesn't have that option and specifically asked about CCs, I think it'd be fine as long as the OP aced the classes. Of course, you could always just find another 4-year to retake the course at...

I am from Texas.
I didn't feel right about the idea of retaking classes to boost GPA and your responses confirmed that its not a great idea, thanks.

I'm thinking about taking a year after graduation to boost my resume.
I'll look into the volunteering opportunities at Brakenridge but from what I've heard you have to work the gift shop or reception for like the first 6 months.

The reason I'm retaking my MCAT is because I feel like a higher score my balance out my low GPA. I got a 33 my first try, and I'm hoping for a 35 on the retake. Do ya'll have any suggestions as to what I can do to get adcoms to give me a better chance? Will they take any pity on me because of my Biomedical Engineering major?

I am from Texas.
I didn't feel right about the idea of retaking classes to boost GPA and your responses confirmed that its not a great idea, thanks.

Nobody said that. Reread the responses. Retaking courses to boost GPA is fine. People do it all the time. It's one of the great things about AACOMAS (grade replacement).

I'm thinking about taking a year after graduation to boost my resume. I'll look into the volunteering opportunities at Brakenridge but from what I've heard you have to work the gift shop or reception for like the first 6 months.

So why not take a few classes to boost the GPA during this time?

The reason I'm retaking my MCAT is because I feel like a higher score my balance out my low GPA. I got a 33 my first try, and I'm hoping for a 35 on the retake. Do ya'll have any suggestions as to what I can do to get adcoms to give me a better chance? Will they take any pity on me because of my Biomedical Engineering major?

You're gonna risk your 33 to try to improve to a 35? That's not an easy task, and you're likely to do more harm than good, since you'll need to disclose any MCAT scores you got. Very risky. Again, just retake some classes. CC, 4 year uni, whatever.

Lastly, ADCOMS don't usually show "degree pity."