Where do you work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amahl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see what everybody does.

Members don't see this ad.

I go to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
behavioral neuroscience lab
medical examiner's office
on the corner of 5th and main (this is a side job, of course)

Vanderbilt Pharmacology and School

School takes up most of my time...just lets me know how badly I need a job :(

i write nutrition and exericse articles for a nutrition/exercise company's website. phew that was a mouthful.

the past few summers have been valet parking and pizza delivery...both jobs i highly recommend cuz they are probably the easiest jobs you could have and you actually make quite a lot of money. oh ive also been a surf instructor, but that was onyl for a short while... nothin better than working at the beach in the water.

...how much money could you possibly make valet parking/pizza delivering?

Clinical research coordinator at Stanford.

I feel like it sounds cooler than it actually is. I do like seeing my name next to "Stanford school of medicine" on my business cards (sent copies to my whole family :D). Sigh...one and only time my name will be associated with that place...

Currently, I am not practicing clinically, but work in research. Clinical research technician at a medical school sleep lab in Michigan and a research project leader on my own project looking into aviation safety improvements through the university I attend.

Tutor at school during the year
Reproductive sciences research lab this summer

...how much money could you possibly make valet parking/pizza delivering?

on average i made 16-20 bucks an hour. thats pretty legit for a summer job. I'd come home with 80-100 bucks in tips....at the very least 50 bucks on a slow day. and thats just straight cash, you dont have to report it to anybody.

Members don't see this ad :)
<---- Another Clinical Research Coordinator for the VA hospital

Hmm...Movie store, Research lab, and I TA a lab.

on average i made 16-20 bucks an hour. thats pretty legit for a summer job. I'd come home with 80-100 bucks in tips....at the very least 50 bucks on a slow day. and thats just straight cash, you dont have to report it to anybody.

:eyebrow: I don't think you and the IRS are reading the same manuals.

Clinical Research Assistant. But I get to do lot more than just RA for the studies. I'm learning how to analyze the data, write manuscripts, review submitted manuscripts for journals, etc. It's a great experience!

I own/operate my own custom cake business. No, seriously. I picked up cake decorating at my first job in high school, and its something I enjoy, so I've been doing cool/creative cakes for friends and family ever since. Everybody always said that I should go commercial, and since I have a gap year, I decided to give it a shot. I booked 3 weddings, 4 birthdays, and a baby shower in my first 3 weeks that I was officially in business! :wow:

I poke worms.

Among other things.

I own/operate my own custom cake business. No, seriously. I picked up cake decorating at my first job in high school, and its something I enjoy, so I've been doing cool/creative cakes for friends and family ever since. Everybody always said that I should go commercial, and since I have a gap year, I decided to give it a shot. I booked 3 weddings, 4 birthdays, and a baby shower in my first 3 weeks that I was officially in business! :wow:

Share the wealth

Why oh why would you boast about that?

I've seen waiters/bartenders/valets/etc who work for tips boast about how much they make in cash and not report it, it just makes the rest of us who have to report every cent we make that much more against you and feel less sorry when we read the news about how tips are going down.

Summer:
Clinical research at Stanford
Teaching MCAT for Princeton Review
Coordinating a shadowing program (They found funding to pay me!!! So I guess it counts as "work" :D )

Once the school year starts:
All of the above plus TA-ing undergrad Biology lab classes.

Summers, on a fishing boat out of Alaska. Used to rake in the cash; but with gas prices the way they are now, not so much.

Still love it though.

server at ruby tuesday!

C. elegans? :thumbup:

Yeah, they're pretty cool. I made one explode today though. (One too many frustrated clicks on the "clean" function of my microinjection apparatus)

part time unit clerk at one hospital
per diem patient transporter at another

full time... baller

Yeah, they're pretty cool. I made one explode today though. (One too many frustrated clicks on the "clean" function of my microinjection apparatus)

Yea, my honors thesis research was with C. elegans. I've since transitioned to clinical research, though.

I still have several strains that I need to freeze down. They're currently drying up in the -16deg incubator :(

Shadowing now. Over the school year I work at my school's health center, I organize and lead a group of volunteer peer educators with two other paid employees and create workshops/pamphlets/etc.

Veterinary Technician at an animal hospital, woohoo!

and MCAT teacher

While I was in culinary school, I worked at a specialty running store and taught for Kaplan.

w00t! I love making cakes! Most of all, I love making sugar flowers (sugar paste, marzipan, pulled sugar). Roses, calla lilies, peonies, camellias, gardenias, tulips... :thumbup:

If med school hadn't panned out, I would try to work specialty cakes for a couple years and then branch off on my own.

Grad assistant...not too exciting but they pay me to go to school and teach some lab classes...not too bad...:D

Pharmacy Tech during the summer.

Azeroth, i'm a level 70 Tauren Warrior and my mission is to lead my brave band of 25 adventurers into the heart of Sunwell Plateau in Quel'danas and defeat the Deceiver himself, Kil'jaeden.

This summer i work as a support worker for The Council of Persons with Disabilities

Im an English teacher in Japanese junior high and elementary.

1: Clinical research coordinator at a medical school....$32,248 salary
2: Two Health Search Expert jobs (both work-at-home-part-time)....$36,000 salary
3: Research associate for a science Internet based company (work-at-home-part-time)....$15,000 salary

I will be starting another health search expert job for another company to work on the weekends while I watch football and to keep me busy during the cold winter months.

Last edited:
man, competition's a bit stiff.

I have yet to hear "night time janitor at local 7-11"

Banner Desert Hospital/ Arizona Childrens Surgery Billing Office

Statistician for a research hospital... zzZzZzz.