Where does a patient go if he has a problem with an optometrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duracell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Can someone tell me where a patient would go if they have a problem with an optometrist? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

duracell said:
Hello!

Can someone tell me where a patient would go if they have a problem with an optometrist? Thanks.

Errr what do you mean by problem? Something unethical or unprofessional? Report to whomever looks after patient rights (not sure how it works in the States).. If you don't like their attitude? Go see another optometrist :D

duracell said:
Hello!

Duracell,

If you think you have a serious ethical issue or question about the competence of the doctor, you should consider contacting the state board of optometry in that state.

That said, reporting someone to the State Board is a very serious thing, i.e. you were sexually harassed, verbally/physically abused, believe the doctor to be negligent, etc. If you just weren't happy with his/her attitude, your eyeglass prescription, your bill, etc. then you either need to complain directly to the doctor or his/her employer. There's always the BBB, as well.

Most optometrists are reasonable people. If you present a legitimate complaint in a respectful manner, I think most ODs would try to work with you to rectify it.

With all that said, could you elaborate on the issue?

Members don't see this ad :)
if its a matter of professionalism/ethics you could go to the provincial college of optometrists (or the association if there is no college) and in the US you would go to the state board of optometry that issues liscences.

Sorry, this is not a real life situation. Should've clarified. IT was a question pertaining to, if a patient has a problem, who is there to help them? Not to worry my fellow friends, nothing is wrong! Sorry for the confusion!

duracell said:
Hello!

Very interesting! Many clients who have had problems of what you have described in the following posts do not know what they should do to resolve their delimmas. As a innocent bystander, I would like to know what are the processes that the individual boards of the various states do to a would be offender. Do they get a warning? License suspended? "Slap the wrist"?