Where does being hispanic confer the biggest advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papa Oso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a Cuban-American (not an URM, but still hispanic) so I have been wondering where being hispanic gives me an advantage? Taking into account my instate schools (7 schools in Florida), I have been looking into other DO schools to apply too. Since there is no official ranking system, the first thing I looked into is the location. I have looked into the demographics for Touro- CA, Western University, and TCOM, but all of them seem to have a huge preference for instate applicants (surprise surprise), and I know those areas have alot of hispanics when compared to the rest of the country. I have been told the Northeast schools give hispanics an edge, and I am wondering if those schools I should especially look into?

Tell me what you guys think, and thanks in advanced!

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't use my Hispanic background well during my interviews in Florida, but for schools up north (especially Northeast region) I was able to search statistics concerning those regions and the Hispanic demographic. These came as great discussion points as I made my case for what I could bring to the region and who could serve.

Reactions: 1 user
I couldn't use my Hispanic background well during my interviews in Florida, but for schools up north (especially Northeast region) I was able to search statistics concerning those regions and the Hispanic demographic. These came as great discussion points as I made my case for what I could bring to the region and who could serve.

Well the reason why I'm focusing on FL is because I'm from FL. I have a 3.3 cGPA with a 504 MCAT, so I don't think it's even worth applying OOS for MD. I feel though if I apply to about 10 DO schools, I'll most likely get a response, with LECOM - Bradenton and NOVA as my fall back schools. So you are suggesting for my OOS, if I want to use my ethnicity to my advantage, I should focus on the North East? Some places like NCOM, NYIT, and PCOM seem great, but I don't know if I'd be able to handle the cold up there.

Obviously, I'm still in the brain storming phase, but any and all input is appreciated. Thanks @osckey !

Members don't see this ad :)
At the Puerto Ricans school, if you have Spanish language skills.

The CA schools don't have a preference, it's just that there are so many capable candidates. CA is the largest net exporter of medical students. UCLA alone could fill every med school in CA (MD + DO) with students.

Hello all,
I am a Cuban-American (not an URM, but still hispanic) so I have been wondering where being hispanic gives me an advantage? Taking into account my instate schools (7 schools in Florida), I have been looking into other DO schools to apply too. Since there is no official ranking system, the first thing I looked into is the location. I have looked into the demographics for Touro- CA, Western University, and TCOM, but all of them seem to have a huge preference for instate applicants (surprise surprise), and I know those areas have alot of hispanics when compared to the rest of the country. I have been told the Northeast schools give hispanics an edge, and I am wondering if those schools I should especially look into?

Tell me what you guys think, and thanks in advanced!

At the Puerto Ricans school, if you have Spanish language skills.

The CA schools don't have a preference, it's just that there are so many capable candidates. CA is the largest net exporter of medical students. UCLA alone could fill every med school in CA (MD + DO) with students.

So if California doesn't care, which DO schools do? Again, I am speculating the North East schools would care, but I don't know for sure so that's why I'm here asking :)

Edit: Also, I am a fluent Spanish speaker, but am definitely not looking into studying outside of the states. Would go to PR or the Caribbean, but only as a last resort.

You have told me my 3.3 cGPA with a 504 is considered competitive for most DO schools in the past, so I guess I'll just apply to wherever I want regardless of how populated with hispanics the area is.

Florida, Texas, California, Arizona. Apply to BCOM and the dean might have a wet dream over you.

Florida, Texas, California, Arizona. Apply to BCOM and the dean might have a wet dream over you.

Thanks! I am very humble, so any Med School in the U.S having a "wet dream" over me is very welcomed news!

The key is to continually emphasize your desire to work with and help the underserved areas of the Southwest and "Borderplex" region since that's bcoms mission.

OHHHH I see now why you are recommending BCOM @jojo58 . According to the osteopathic medical school handbook: "BCOM seeks to recruit and admit students from the Borderplex region, from New Mexico and the surrounding regions who have shown commitment in serving the medically undeserved, rural areas of the state and the region. Part of BCOM’s Mission is to recruit students from Hispanic and Native American ancestry, however, all qualified applicants will be considered."
This place might be a great fit! I have plenty of experience working for the underpriveleged (as an ER scribe, and at Miami Children's Hospital (now Nicklaus Children's Hospital).

OHHHH I see now why you are recommending BCOM @jojo58 . According to the osteopathic medical school handbook: "BCOM seeks to recruit and admit students from the Borderplex region, from New Mexico and the surrounding regions who have shown commitment in serving the medically undeserved, rural areas of the state and the region. Part of BCOM’s Mission is to recruit students from Hispanic and Native American ancestry, however, all qualified applicants will be considered."
This place might be a great fit! I have plenty of experience working for the underpriveleged (as an ER scribe, and at Miami Children's Hospital (now Nicklaus Children's Hospital).

Was accepted at BCOM. Going to ATSU only
for locality. BCOM is a very promising program with an active research institute and 100 residency positions already