Where else should I apply? PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If they think that research is so terrible, then they should go out and do it themselves. Make fun of the system all you want, but there's also a lot of good research out there and it constitutes the backbone of our clinical work.

Agreed.

There can be productivity AND quality in research work, it just takes thoughtful design and vigilance to understand the limitations of what can be done at any given time. Everyone likes throwing stones up at the ivory towers, but just as much blame should be placed on all of the clinicians who practice w/o a solid understanding of what is in the literature (particularly some of the newer findings).

Members don't see this ad.

Every free standing school doles out a PhD in addition to a PsyD. Those PhD programs admit plenty of students and have similarly poor standards so I don't understand the PhD/PsyD dichotomy anymore. They also offer PhD degrees in 4 years, and i've seen some that are non-accredited that offer a PHD in 3 years. There is no difference between a PhD or PsyD from most professional schools.

Yes, some FSPSs give out PhDs as well as PsyDs, but it is far from the case that every one does. Over a third of PsyD granting institutions are FSPSs, and only a tiny fraction of Boulder model PhD programs are housed outside of universities. I have some citations to back this up if you need them (not at hand right now). The very large professional school in the city where I trained does not have a PhD program.

i really am not super obsessed about dissertations to be honest. I care about clinical work, assessments, and treatment. I want to be a good clinician, that is my main goal. I understand the merit of doing a proper dissertation, but I think some of you phD students are just pissed off that psyd students don't do the same dissertation work as you and still get called "psychologist" in the end. Sometimes students really are doing the dissertation so the institution gets more funding, more money anyways so I don't see any reason to feel so self-righteous about it. This isn't always the case, but the point I'm making is that it's not so simple as some may think. I have my own gripes about all the money we waste on unnecessary research that really leads to nowhere, but that's a personal opinion of mine that I will rant on another day...(ex: the dispraportionate amount of funding that goes towards breast cancer when more people are dying from cardiovascular disease and issues related to obesity and poor diet..but wearing pink brings so much good press to companies (5 hour energy drink), and fat people deserve to get sick right? right?? because..you know, they're fat and stuff...ehh...i'm pretty cynical when it comes to our entire approach to academia and have become quite jaded recently. my apologies )

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i really am not super obsessed about dissertations to be honest. I care about clinical work, assessments, and treatment. I want to be a good clinician, that is my main goal. .

If you primarily care about clinical work, assessments, and treatment, you will still get better training in all these areas at reputable PsyD programs (rutgers, baylor) and balanced PhD programs compared to free standing professional programs overall. If you go to a non-reputable PsyD it will be tough to land decent practicums, internships, or fellowships that will provide you with the training you need to be competent. We deal with a lot of suicidal and unstable patients so for your own peace of mind its really important to go to a program with good training and outcomes. All the training experiences I got were directly related to the reputation of my graduate program. This is not the type of field where you can "fake it" since we frequently deal with crisis situations.

Last edited:
If you primarily care about clinical work, assessments, and treatment, you will still get better training in all these areas at reputable PsyD programs (rutgers, baylor) and balanced PhD programs compared to free standing professional programs overall. If you go to a non-reputable PsyD it will be tough to land decent practicums, internships, or fellowships that will provide you with the training you need to be competent. We deal with a lot of suicidal and unstable patients so for your own peace of mind its really important to go to a program with good training and outcomes. All the training experiences I got were directly related to the reputation of my graduate program. This is not the type of field where you can "fake it" since we frequently deal with crisis situations.

Right, and from what I read online PGSP, Nova, Yeshiva, LIU-Post were all fairly reputable...but okay I will just assume they are not anymore based on the last 30 posts on this thread. Great, now I'm screwed. I just spend the last year preparing myself to start school this fall.

I understand the merit of doing a proper dissertation, but I think some of you phD students are just pissed off that psyd students don't do the same dissertation work as you and still get called "psychologist" in the end.

It doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is people saying Psy.D. = Ph.D. when they are, in fact, different degrees requiring, on average, different types and amounts of work.

You have exceptional programs and students for both types of degrees. But the degrees are different. Not in being called "psychologist" or "Dr." or in licensure for clinical practice - but they are different in terms of their training emphasis. The fact that the minimum amounts of time required for study differ between the two degrees ought to demonstrate some of this difference - and I'd imagine you'd also see a different emphasis in coursework electives.

Last edited:
Right, and from what I read online PGSP, Nova, Yeshiva, LIU-Post were all fairly reputable...but okay I will just assume they are not anymore based on the last 30 posts on this thread. Great, now I'm screwed. I just spend the last year preparing myself to start school this fall.

I don't think you are screwed. You just will want to weigh your options against all of the information you have available to you. If you really think one of those programs is right for you, there is nothing stopping you. Some of us would just advise that, given your potential, you might be able to aim for an even better program that may help you have a better long term career outlook.

Those programs are all uni-based, so the education isn't usually the snag...it is the debt. I don't think any of them provide very good funding, and they are all in expensive areas of the country. Debt is NOT your friend. Match rate is also worth looking at....though I don't know where each program is at these days.

Those programs are all uni-based, so the education isn't usually the snag...it is the debt. I don't think any of them provide very good funding, and they are all in expensive areas of the country. Debt is NOT your friend. Match rate is also worth looking at....though I don't know where each program is at these days.

PGSP (psyd), LIU psyd, and yeshiva all have pretty decent match rates. Nova has a terrible match rate. They are not incredibly competitive like rutgers//baylor and other PhD programs so you can probably get into one of them without being a superstar on paper.

It doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is people saying Psy.D. = Ph.D. when they are, in fact, different degrees requiring, on average, different types and amounts of work.

I've only met a couple of psyd holders, but several phd psychologists. I would agree with your statement that they are different degrees. I feel like I can talk to phd people about research more openly. Most of the cool articles on psychologToday's blog are written by phDs. I do feel like PsyD people are a little more down to earth. Not that PhD holders are cocky or anything, but sometimes get so boggled up in research that they sort of miss the bigger picture. For example...
IN my social psych class we were discussing an article that concluded how 20 minutes of video games does increase aggression. In class I made the point that the study wasn't really amazing because kids rarely play video games for 20 minutes. Kids these days play for hours and hours, and we can't just assume that if it increases aggression after 20 minutes it will do the same after 4 hours of play. Maybe after 45 minutes they get desensitized and don't get affected as much? My classmates (PhD students) all claimed that the study was great because it found good results. That's like saying eating a chip is bad because it produces 20 calories. Yeah it is bad, but who only eats one chip? I just think that when you become really good at research you lose the focus on what's important. I like older psychological research. It was more daring. I know we can't replicate Milgrim's study again but I feel like the spirit of what made psychologists so great in the 60's-70's is sort of lost. We get so locked up within the compounds of our schools we get disconnected from the real world. Plus even the language of how psychologists write now compared to before is hugely different. Everyone now wants to sound so smart that an average joe could never understand. Older research was much more clearly written. You phd students do amazing work don't get me wrong, but I feel like all this work is just executed within a school and read by other psychologists. I think a better thing to teach doctoral candidates is how to actually teach well, and how to run a business. Social psychologists often teach at MBA programs about marketing and such, but how come psych students never learn anything about how to run a clinic?
School tuition (at psyd programs) is crazy. But we have to realize that most graduate programs are expensive. A 2 year MBA can cost 100k easily. I think I'm just used to grad school being expensive that I don't really consider it a factor. My law student friends are in debt, my dental school buddies are in debt. I got friends still in debt from college. Maybe I'm just lazy to do research. It's hard work, and it isn't always rewarding. Most studies never get noticed by the public. Most study topics are so random now because overall as a field so many of the important topics have already been studied.
I've worked in a lab as an assistant and saw how hard phd students work. It's not rare to run a study on 80 participates, only to have your adviser say to start again because your data is inconclusive. It sucks. But that is the price you pay for not paying a price.

Last edited:
I've only met a couple of psyd holders, but several phd psychologists. I would agree with your statement that they are different degrees. I feel like I can talk to phd people about research more openly. Most of the cool articles on psychologToday's blog are written by phDs. I do feel like PsyD people are a little more down to earth. Not that PhD holders are cocky or anything, but sometimes get so boggled up in research that they sort of miss the bigger picture. For example...
IN my social psych class we were discussing an article that concluded how 20 minutes of video games does increase aggression. In class I made the point that the study wasn't really amazing because kids rarely play video games for 20 minutes. Kids these days play for hours and hours, and we can't just assume that if it increases aggression after 20 minutes it will do the same after 4 hours of play. Maybe after 45 minutes they get desensitized and don't get affected as much? My classmates (PhD students) all claimed that the study was great because it found good results. That's like saying eating a chip is bad because it produces 20 calories. Yeah it is bad, but who only eats one chip? I just think that when you become really good at research you lose the focus on what's important.

Well while I agree that some researchers lose focus on the practical significance of their work, most of the researchers I know generally want to do studies that measure practical effects (e.g., is matching treatment to individual characteristics predictive of positive outcomes?) that have some meaning in real life.

Your video game/chip analysis made me a chuckle a little. When you play more video games you get desensitized vs. when you eat more and more chips you get ____(heavier? gas? cholesterol?)

Please don't consider it a dichotomy. There are great/poor/in between researchers out there, much like a whole spectrum of clinicians, teachers, accountants, etc. You'll always have some people that overstate their findings. It doesn't mean that all findings are overstated. I think the fact that you ask those questions is the sign of someone who has the right critical attitude for evaluating research - and you'd beef up those skills in a doctoral program where you learn more about research studies.

Also recognize that in this field it often isn't just one area you work in. For example, I do teaching, research, and clinical work professionally (professor plus license). I usually save my "boggled-up in research" moments for late at night with my stats software and put my "down-to-earth" hat on when I see patients, but sometimes I get mixed up and use motivational interviewing with the dataset and then tell my patient "You are not significant!" ;)

We get so locked up within the compounds of our schools we get disconnected from the real world.

Applied research is where it's at - we've been blowing up the ivory towers.

I think a better thing to teach doctoral candidates is how to actually teach well, and how to run a business.
Totally agree with you here. Some of us DID get some good teaching training - I loved how my program prepared us.

Teaching psychologists more about the business aspects of the degree (e.g., running a private practice, billing, or even grant-writing) is something that is sorely needed. some of our programs do some of this, but more is needed, definitely.

Everyone likes throwing stones up at the ivory towers

Maybe the ivory tower should use some of its VA money to install a gun turret up top. I bet it's tough for the PhD types in their well-funded university digs to feel so besieged......... us FSPS types couldn't possibly understand that kind of betrayal, could we, brother?

For Cara -- the thinking isn't we can do it better. The thinking around these parts is that learning stats driven research approaches does not necessarily allow us to understand many modern day ailments, much less craft meaningful interventions.

Different emphases, indeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thinking around these parts is that learning stats driven research approaches does not necessarily allow us to understand many modern day ailments, much less craft meaningful interventions.

What is "stats driven research"? Are you talking about quantitative vs. qualitative? Can you give an example of the kind of research you consider "meaningful"?

ex: the dispraportionate amount of funding that goes towards breast cancer when more people are dying from cardiovascular disease and issues related to obesity and poor diet..but wearing pink brings so much good press to companies (5 hour energy drink), and fat people deserve to get sick right? right?? because..you know, they're fat and stuff...ehh...i'm pretty cynical when it comes to our entire approach to academia and have become quite jaded recently. my apologies )

I think this is an EXCELLENT point and a good reason that our field needs professionals who know how research works! Being jaded about the current state of research does not mean research should be avoided. In fact, I think that can propel us to make it better. It's a fluid process, both on the worldwide level and the project level. That's what science is about--looking at what's been done, finding a new way to examine it, and then trying it out. Please don't let your jadedness block you from respecting research. You don't have to be a researcher as a psychologist, but to know what studies are crap vs. those that have promise when it comes to interventions--that's what we need our psychologists to know when they are sitting in front of a client. Throwing the baby out with the bath water is unnecessarily rebellious, so please reconsider. I would direct this to Buzz as well.

I would say that the best thing about a so-called "balanced" program (whether one of the very few PsyD programs or a PhD program) is that they consider research in most clinical contexts. If you're feeling so jaded about science that you don't even want to bother looking at the literature and would rather, for example, just do whatever interventions you find most entertaining or what your clients seem to like best, then be a spiritual healer or something. No disrespect to those modalities, but clinical & counseling psychology are based in science, whereas others are not.

What is "stats driven research"? Are you talking about quantitative vs. qualitative? Can you give an example of the kind of research you consider "meaningful"?

I'm wondering if maybe it's the idea of research being driven by data mining (and/or the global equivalent of stepwise regression) as opposed to some type of meaningful hypothesis/theory?

If so, I could partially agree, although I'd also say that there's certainly a time and a place for data mining...particularly in the initial stages of hypothesis/theory creation. In some ways, it can almost be seen as the research-based equivalent of designing a study based on anecdotal clinical observations.

Beyond that, with the advancement of statistical techniques/models over the past couple of decades, I can also see how some results are potentially more obtuse and/or seem more "willy nilly" in their interpretation, particularly without prior in-depth exposure said techniques.

I think a better thing to teach doctoral candidates is how to actually teach well, and how to run a business

The thing is that everything you learn in an undergrad psych course, any course, comes from research. Even teaching relies on understanding research and its limitations... For instance, the textbook for my dev psych class states unequivocally that cohabitation before marriage leads to a higher chance of divorce. I happen to be familiar with research on that topic and I know that there are confounding factors that lead to the effect, which older research did not control for. As a matter of fact, newer studies have controlled for these variables and produced very different findings. So I tell my students that they should take this statement with a grain of salt and I explain some of the variables that could be causing these results.

You have to understand that I love research and I find every study, even a simple little survey study, potentially valuable. Not all of us were meant to develop clinical interventions, but you never know if one of your articles that found or confirmed a certain relationship between two variables or a certain effect could later contribute to an intervention being developed, even if it's by someone else in the field. And that's one of the reasons that I keep doing it.

You have to understand that I love research and I find every study, even a simple little survey study, potentially valuable. Not all of us were meant to develop clinical interventions, but you never know if one of your articles that found or confirmed a certain relationship between two variables or a certain effect could later contribute to an intervention being developed, even if it's by someone else in the field. And that's one of the reasons that I keep doing it.

:love: :highfive: :biglove:

I'm wondering if maybe it's the idea of research being driven by data mining (and/or the global equivalent of stepwise regression) as opposed to some type of meaningful hypothesis/theory?

If so, I could partially agree, although I'd also say that there's certainly a time and a place for data mining...particularly in the initial stages of hypothesis/theory creation. In some ways, it can almost be seen as the research-based equivalent of designing a study based on anecdotal clinical observations.

I'm assuming this is what they meant, but who knows. I tend to agree with you.

I think it is amusing to hear anti-research types out there criticizing research in the field because there are some people out there publishing stuff that might be spurious or data-driven. By that logic, the fact that I have met and heard about a lot of &*%ty therapists and am concerned about iatrogenic effects might be a good enough cause to abolish therapy for everyone, altogether. :yawn:

The thing is that everything you learn in an undergrad psych course, any course, comes from research. Even teaching relies on understanding research and its limitations... For instance, the textbook for my dev psych class states unequivocally that cohabitation before marriage leads to a higher chance of divorce. I happen to be familiar with research on that topic and I know that there are confounding factors that lead to the effect, which older research did not control for. As a matter of fact, newer studies have controlled for these variables and produced very different findings. So I tell my students that they should take this statement with a grain of salt and I explain some of the variables that could be causing these results.

+1

I'd add that technical education invariably has an expiration date. Running a private practice was different ten years ago and will be different ten years from now. Therapeutic techniques change and program design isn't static. Learning how to research and to use research effectively -- that's the forever stuff, even if you're a full-time clinician.

You phd students do amazing work don't get me wrong, but I feel like all this work is just executed within a school and read by other psychologists. I think a better thing to teach doctoral candidates is how to actually teach well, and how to run a business.

1. I don't write empirical research for the assembly-line workers at Ford. I WANT IT to be predominantly read by other psychologists and other professionals. That's kinda the whole point. I am furthering my field by contributing to a knowledge base that will be applied by my fellow professionals....for the benefit of all patients.

I have no clue why where the research is executed has any baring here?! Where should it be conducted? That's kinda what the university system is for...a place for the formulation, conduction, and writing of scientific research. As far as clinical research, it should be quite obvious that much of this research is conducted in hospitals and in the community with real patient populations. Whether the person who leads it has an affiliation with a university seems irrelevant to me.

2. We aren't running a trade school or a business school here pal. I agree that more clinically geared professional career development is in order in many ph.d programs, but doctoral programs should be in the business of science. Teaching my students how to run a business in no way ensures that they are more informed, skilled/competent, or ethical clinicians. On the clinical end, these are the skills I am concerned about developing in my students.

Social psychologists often teach at MBA programs about marketing and such, but how come psych students never learn anything about how to run a clinic?

You are not a Ph.D student so i am unsure why think you can speak about how they are trained and what they are and are not trained in. How to run a clinic? Thats kinda what clinical training is, at least in the later years. Many ph.d programs provide opps for students to gain experience in supervising, delegating, and making clinical decisions that take into account access issues, clinic needs, financial risks/benefits, etc.

Last edited:
Yeah, my current practicum involves a lot of clinic administrative work.

Yeah, if you don't think PhD students learn how to run a clinical operation, you have no idea what the training involves.

The thinking around these parts is that learning stats driven research approaches does not necessarily allow us to understand many modern day ailments, much less craft meaningful interventions.

Ok, I have to ask...where are these parts?

I am not sure what "stats driven approaches" are, but if you simply mean using some type of quantification method for purposes of estimating causal relations, or using statistics and mathematical models to investigate constructs, calculate effect sizes, variance, etc, then I'm curious what exactly you are advocating for instead? Nothing but case studies?

I'm curious what exactly you are advocating for instead? Nothing but case studies?

raven-info0.gif

You all know where this one is going.

doctoral programs should be in the business of science. Teaching my students how to run a business in no way ensures that they are more informed, skilled/competent, or ethical clinicians.

Right! Better living through science! Ah, to dream the centuries old dream. Quoth Jesse, "Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!"

But not just science, the business of science! We can all trust the invisible hand or the five year planners or the Mr. White's of the world to guide us to sound ethical decisions...

Right! Better living through science! Ah, to dream the centuries old dream. Quoth Jesse, "Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!"

But not just science, the business of science! We can all trust the invisible hand or the five year planners or the Mr. White's of the world to guide us to sound ethical decisions...

I have no idea whether you're trolling, but I seriously need to update my post signature. So last season.

Huh?

He's referring to my signature, which quotes Breaking Bad, and (maybe?) comparing non-FSPS psychologists to meth cooks. And something about business and dreams. Or something. I think.

You are not a Ph.D student .
agreed. I'm just going off on what I've observed as a non-phd and non-psyd student. I'm still learning the ropes.

you have no idea what the training involves.

Agreed, somewhat. I might have generalized phd programs prematurely before really doing my homework on them.

Please don't let your jadedness block you from respecting research. .

I respect research! I get tweets from @PsychNews every day about new research. Actually I got interested in psych from these tweets. For about a year I was just casually reading about these weird research articles and always thought they were so interesting. I never really read them in depth, just the abstracts or sometimes just the heading. This was before I took any psych class.

Research is what got me intrigued with psychology in the first place. I will always love it and respect it tremendously. I just don't think I'm patient enough to do it myself. I feel like I need to decide if I want to spend another year doing research to prepare for a phd OR just go right into a psyd since my application already has good clinical experience. It's a tough choice to make honestly. Maybe if move to a great city and can enjoy living a life outside research for that time period it would be nice. I dont know...On a side and more depressing note, my GRE just came back and sucks. I didn't prepare for it like I should have. Maybe this is a sign that I should slow down....I wonder if any schools will allow me to re-take it next month? ughh...

He's referring to my signature, which quotes Breaking Bad, and (maybe?) comparing non-FSPS psychologists to meth cooks. And something about business and dreams. Or something. I think.

I knew it was Breaking Bad, but it doesn't come anywhere close to a comprehensible answer to my question/comment, nor anyone else's. Also, was the raven picture a reference to that dissertation we were all making fun of last year? Sorry, I guess i don't really know what the person is trying to say.

Anyway, this was a person who was seemingly advocating against conducting clinical research in psychology that utilizes statistics. I think that requires some explaining, :laugh:

I think designing treatments that work requires an explanatory model (often comes from experimental psychopathology research and uses stats, btw), a theory of human behavior, a method of change that is congruent with the previous, AND an empirical investigation that examines its efficacy (which of course requires quantification of the variables). I'm not sure how one could reasonably disagree with this....

Last edited:
Were one to (hypothetically) conclude "science is bunk" and decide that our system of disseminating information is completely corrupted, I'm curious as to what alternatives exist that aren't prone to problems themselves.

Do we just rely on theory or intuition? Because where did those theories come from, and how do we know our intuition is not corrupted or misguided?

I am not a person who is a complete slave to science, but I recognize that it is one of the best systems of knowing/discovering that we have. Without it, psychologists are nothing more than just philosophers.

I also think that the public perception of psychologists, at least in my experience, includes the assumption that we know what we are talking about. In large part, that assumption carries with it the expectation that there is some evidence behind any claims we make. Unfortunately, subpar training for a large group of new incomers to the profession is going to challenge our public image even further. For example, I remember when the whole Rod Blagojevich thing came out, they started interviewing psychologists on the news. There was one program I remember (among many) where a FSPS Psy.D. faculty member starting saying that he had such and such diagnoses. Thankfully, another psychologist was also on the program who noted that without meeting and interviewing the patient themselves, it would be inappropriate to make a diagnosis. Wonder how that psychologist was educated?

But hey, I'm not quite ready to get "two-tailed" tattooed onto my butt ;)

Last edited:
Do we just rely on theory or intuition? Because where did those theories come from, and how do we know our intuition is not corrupted or misguided?

I think P.E Meehl's classic "dirty little book" proves how well this works for clinicians...

What I find really funny is that without science none of us would be having this discussion... because computers and the internet wouldn't exist.

I have no idea whether you're trolling, but I seriously need to update my post signature. So last season.

Yeah, the details matter.

Not trolling, but needing to keep it light because folks here seem so oblivious to their own shadows. The responses to my posts do not surprise me -- splitting tends to make for some interesting attempts at communication. Otherwise intelligent people suddenly seem incapable of recognizing the difference between most and all, for example. Nowhere did I say stats are useless, science is bunk, all people on the other side of this seemingly great divide are like meth cooks, etc. Otherwise intelligent people take others to task for the very things they would excuse between themselves

I just get a hoot out of a conversation that goes, all too often, something like this:

FSPS defender 1: We have great training. I know fellow students who accomplished (insert something the other side tends to respect).

FSPS attacker 1: Sure you do -- there are always outliers.

FSPS attacker 2: Yeah, the majority of FSPS students are dead weight (at best) on the profession.

FSPS attacker x: I know, right? Once I saw this FSPS type talking on TV and saying the dumbest things.

FSPS attacker y: Typical FSPS weak sauce!

FSPS defender 2: What gives with the double standard?

Chorus: Who will police the FSPS menace to science and higher reason if not us? Burn the troll!

From the looks of things, folks here seem well versed in research methods and statistics. I believe my comments left ample room for people to recognize that I agree that quantitative methods have their place in clinical research, but that I and others believe the field is straying in overemphasizing their usefulness in thinking about interventions at the individual and collective levels. Nowhere did I say empiricism is a bad thing. Psychobiography is an example of a non-quantitative empirical method, an example of which might be Erikson's, Ghandi's Truth.

As for the "meaningfulness" of any research, I'd suggest the meaning lies in what is made of it, that is, the interventions others can imagine and implement thanks to it.

Let the wild rumpus continue...

Yeah, the details matter.

I just get a hoot out of a conversation that goes, all too often, something like this:

FSPS defender 1: We have great training. I know fellow students who accomplished (insert something the other side tends to respect).

FSPS attacker 1: Sure you do -- there are always outliers.

FSPS attacker 2: Yeah, the majority of FSPS students are dead weight (at best) on the profession.

FSPS attacker x: I know, right? Once I saw this FSPS type talking on TV and saying the dumbest things.

Buzzwordsoldier, all my experiences with people from free standing professional schools are based on numerous experiences with them and not simply seeing them on TV. I live in a state where 80% of the psychologists are from these programs. There are stark differences between the CLINICAL and research training that I received and anyone else that i've met from professional schools--and i've met hundreds of people since I belong to networking groups and go to state association events. There are simply too many students in these programs to provide for the type of mentoring and training that is required to be competent in this field. There are no shortcuts. For example, all my clinical practica and my training on internship relied heavily on videotape review and I was given extensive supervision (4-6 hours per week of supervision for literally 4 to 6 patients at practica). Many of my supervisors throughout my training listened to therapy tapes outside of supervision. I was also a therapist on research studies where I received 1 hour of supervision with feedback per patient. Ratio of training to client hours was mostly 1 to 1. I don't know anyone from a professional school that got this level of training and mentoring. Most do not even get any audiotape review throughout training and work at low quality training sites where the supervisor is poor and they are basically slaves. I've met many licensed psychologists from professional schools who have never had anyone review a therapy tape for them! Also, i've met numerous professional school students that had practica at places where they do not get ANY supervision from a licensed psychologist (they only get supervision for 1 hour from an intern and nothing else).

All my negative opinions about professional schools come directly from graduates of these programs who readily admit that there program was a joke and that they didn't get their "act together" to get into a better program or were limited geographically.

needing to keep it light because folks here seem so oblivious to their own shadows. The responses to my posts do not surprise me -- splitting tends to make for some interesting attempts at communication. Otherwise intelligent people suddenly seem incapable of recognizing the difference between most and all, for example.

The same could be said for you, Buzz. Really, can you cut it out with the psychobabble? If you go to a FSPS, doesn't it piss you off that you pay so much money to be such a small fish in a large profit pond? That's what most people here, when it comes down to it, really despise about those schools. There is no valid reason for attacking the people who graduate from FSPS's, except that we all are just so frustrated that the schools are creating this new world for psychology that is largely not good for the people involved in the profession. If there is a valid reason to defend these schools, I think it is worth hearing--good points have been brought up in the past, such as a variety of clinical classes, a variety of instructors, perhaps more incentive to work really hard at being a good business person, etc. However, being defensive and attacking the scientist-practitioner model (which existed first and has a great history behind the current model of psychology) just doesn't make sense. Worthless back-and-forth banter is so tiring. And that's not just directed at you, Buzz.

Sorry dude. I have to agree that this "super insightful psych student" thing and the overintellectualization via use of Breaking Bad quotes and metaphorical writing is tiresome. I kinda wish you would just answer the questions.

Last edited:
So i got my gre back...i got a 309, combined....i have no idea if this is good. Should i study to retake it?

Buzzwordsoldier, all my experiences with people from free standing professional schools are based on numerous experiences with them and not simply seeing them on TV. I live in a state where 80% of the psychologists are from these programs. There are stark differences between the CLINICAL and research training that I received and anyone else that i've met from professional schools--and i've met hundreds of people since I belong to networking groups and go to state association events. There are simply too many students in these programs to provide for the type of mentoring and training that is required to be competent in this field. There are no shortcuts. For example, all my clinical practica and my training on internship relied heavily on videotape review and I was given extensive supervision (4-6 hours per week of supervision for literally 4 to 6 patients at practica). Many of my supervisors throughout my training listened to therapy tapes outside of supervision. I was also a therapist on research studies where I received 1 hour of supervision with feedback per patient. Ratio of training to client hours was mostly 1 to 1. I don't know anyone from a professional school that got this level of training and mentoring. Most do not even get any audiotape review throughout training and work at low quality training sites where the supervisor is poor and they are basically slaves. I've met many licensed psychologists from professional schools who have never had anyone review a therapy tape for them! Also, i've met numerous professional school students that had practica at places where they do not get ANY supervision from a licensed psychologist (they only get supervision for 1 hour from an intern and nothing else).

All my negative opinions about professional schools come directly from graduates of these programs who readily admit that there program was a joke and that they didn't get their "act together" to get into a better program or were limited geographically.

PHD12, my main complaint is that folks here have tended to treat all professional schools the same. There are differences, and I recognize these differences based, for the most part, not on hearsay, not even on the research I did as an applicant, but on my own observations of students in the field who attend the different programs in my area. As for your observations, can you say whether the programs you take issue with attempt to train their students for the kind of work people in your professional circles do?

The same could be said for you, Buzz. Really, can you cut it out with the psychobabble? If you go to a FSPS, doesn't it piss you off that you pay so much money to be such a small fish in a large profit pond? That's what most people here, when it comes down to it, really despise about those schools. There is no valid reason for attacking the people who graduate from FSPS's, except that we all are just so frustrated that the schools are creating this new world for psychology that is largely not good for the people involved in the profession. If there is a valid reason to defend these schools, I think it is worth hearing--good points have been brought up in the past, such as a variety of clinical classes, a variety of instructors, perhaps more incentive to work really hard at being a good business person, etc. However, being defensive and attacking the scientist-practitioner model (which existed first and has a great history behind the current model of psychology) just doesn't make sense. Worthless back-and-forth banter is so tiring. And that's not just directed at you, Buzz.
Psychadelic 2012 -- Thank you for at least pointing out a few of the possible merits of the model. I wonder if you would go so far as to allow that there are PsyD programs in schools not named Baylor or Rutgers that a) manage to do a good enough job at what they've identified as their missions, missions which are not at all about riding a student loan bubble, and b) are taking the lead in addressing some of the problems gripping the discipline of psychology, problems which they did not create.

Now, I wonder if my "psychobabble" (I assume you mean such terms as object relations, shadow, splitting?) is not to your taste because it stems from a totally different tradition from yours. It may be of limited value to you, but I find it's well suited to help understand ways that a discussion about the possible merits of professional schools has been derailed by folks who dress up their ill will (you did use the word "despise") via overintellectualized research, stats, and science constructs -- so much technobabble.

I have not attacked the scientist practitioner model so much as questioned peoples' unwavering endorsement of it as the be all and end all of psychology. I may not be the most tactful person here. But I will not stand limply by while people heap scorn on my passion, my intelligence, and my investment of time and money.

I wonder why such otherwise intelligent people have not yet recognized that the barely concealed vitriol they have expressed here could instead be trained on creating win-win solutions to the problems facing psychology. Pick a problem – internship imbalance? Crappy training in practitioner-scholar programs? Business leaders worth their salt will tell you such "problems" are unrecognized growth opportunities, in a very real dollars and cents way. Oh, wait, no – gosh darn it – I'm simply a pro-school sunshine pumper… Whimper.

Sorry dude. I have to agree that this "super insightful psych student" thing and the overintellectualization via use of Breaking Bad quotes and metaphorical writing is tiresome. I kinda wish you would just answer the questions.

erg, in the psychological tradition I find most useful, it's all grist for the mill -- people's breaking bad quote siggies, included. Anywho, I did answer at least one of your questions – I gave an example of a non-quantitative empirical research methodology, and an example of a specific piece of work utilizing that methodology, that I find meaningful. But……maybe that wasn't your question, after all. Sorry if I got you confused with someone else. In the chorus of self-righteous technobabble you and others threw up, I might have lost track of who asked what. Sigh. Maybe I shouldn't expect you to notice how ironic it is for scientists such as yourself to question anything except science.

Last edited:
Psychadelic 2012 -- Thank you for at least pointing out a few of the possible merits of the model. I wonder if you would go so far as to allow that there are PsyD programs in schools not named Baylor or Rutgers that a) manage to do a good enough job at what they've identified as their missions, missions which are not at all about riding a student loan bubble, and b) are taking the lead in addressing some of the problems gripping the discipline of psychology, problems which they did not create.
You need to be more specific. What exactly are you talking about? Examples? What are the missions, problems, etc.?

Now, I wonder if my "psychobabble" (I assume you mean such terms as object relations, shadow, splitting?) is not to your taste because it stems from a totally different tradition from yours. It may be of limited value to you, but I find it’s well suited to help understand ways that a discussion about the possible merits of professional schools has been derailed by folks who dress up their ill will (you did use the word "despise") via overintellectualized research, stats, and science constructs -- so much technobabble.

I have not attacked the scientist practitioner model so much as questioned peoples’ unwavering endorsement of it as the be all and end all of psychology. I may not be the most tactful person here. But I will not stand limply by while people heap scorn on my passion, my intelligence, and my investment of time and money.

I wonder why such otherwise intelligent people have not yet recognized that the barely concealed vitriol they have expressed here could instead be trained on creating win-win solutions to the problems facing psychology. Pick a problem – internship imbalance? Crappy training in practitioner-scholar programs? Business leaders worth their salt will tell you such “problems” are unrecognized growth opportunities, in a very real dollars and cents way. Oh, wait, no – gosh darn it – I’m simply a pro-school sunshine pumper… Whimper.
I'll be more clear. I don't have trouble with the general use of splitting (because it's not my problem) but you're creating an arbitrary "us vs. them" dichotomy that doesn't seem to have a purpose. Again, you're not the only one. Attacking for attacking's sake is pointless. That's what I hate about using psych talk by students and professionals--when it's used to attack and put down. If you have a real argument (as I replied above), give it. Maybe some won't listen, but some will. I'm open to hearing it. I'll state again that my problem with FSPS's are the cost, first and foremost, and the for-profit nature that I've personally seen take advantage of people I know in the field. Secondary would be the flooding of the market for pracs, internship, and employment. The model has become problematic. I know some great PsyDs, have learned from many, and I respect it as a path. I don't personally see that a PhD is touted as the "be all, end all" of psychology, but it is a valid path and happens to be one that has kept its size and cost in check and therefore wins in that sense. I can make my argument for why I believe it is valid, without attacking opposition, so feel free to do the same. You don't have to attack and be defensive to make your argument--it's not working for me.

So i got my gre back...i got a 309, combined....i have no idea if this is good. Should i study to retake it?

It's not a bad score! Do you mind breaking it down by V and Q so I can give you my thoughts on it? And I think it will probably be too late to study and retake the GRE again for this application cycle.

Anyway, back to the fascinating debate! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful and varied wisdom everyone!

It's not a bad score! Do you mind breaking it down by V and Q so I can give you my thoughts on it? And I think it will probably be too late to study and retake the GRE again for this application cycle.

Anyway, back to the fascinating debate! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful and varied wisdom everyone!

Verbal = 154
Quant= 155
I didn't get a chance to cover all the content when preparing. I went in to the with the intention of canceling the score but decided that it was too late.
I ran out of time on one of the math sections, had to guess on like 6 questions, it was kind of ridiculous. On the way home i saw that average scores at good programs was 1200, and i literally thought i was 900 points off...that's how little i knew about this new scoring system. From what I've read online, my score is average...which is kind of what i was hoping for given my mediocre preparation.

I'll be more clear. I don't have trouble with the general use of splitting (because it's not my problem) but you're creating an arbitrary "us vs. them" dichotomy that doesn't seem to have a purpose. Again, you're not the only one. Attacking for attacking's sake is pointless. That's what I hate about using psych talk by students and professionals--when it's used to attack and put down. If you have a real argument (as I replied above), give it. Maybe some won't listen, but some will. I'm open to hearing it. I'll state again that my problem with FSPS's are the cost, first and foremost, and the for-profit nature that I've personally seen take advantage of people I know in the field. Secondary would be the flooding of the market for pracs, internship, and employment. The model has become problematic. I know some great PsyDs, have learned from many, and I respect it as a path. I don't personally see that a PhD is touted as the "be all, end all" of psychology, but it is a valid path and happens to be one that has kept its size and cost in check and therefore wins in that sense. I can make my argument for why I believe it is valid, without attacking opposition, so feel free to do the same. You don't have to attack and be defensive to make your argument--it's not working for me.

Really? You don't split? Your first contribution to this thread was the following, a direct comment to the OP, who had barely introduced himself or fleshed out his options for the SDN community to consider:

You're being brainwashed by marketing. These are horrible reasons to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a doctorate. Perhaps you owe it to yourself and your family to not waste valuable cash on such a desperate, emotional decision? Even (or especially) if you are independent wealthy, this is a horrendous investment.
Was that splitting? Jumping to conclusions? Cracker jack assessment skills? Privileged information about the OP? I don't care -- whatever works for you.

I appreciate that you at least changed your tune to acknowledge some of the folks you know with a PsyD who are eminently capable. When my life choices are being disparaged by people who don't even know the details of the options I had and outcomes I may yet know, but pretend to, and who then trumpet the power and prestige imbalance they may enjoy in the field even as they lament that the numbers are shifting? All because they don't consider the work I've chosen to be a valid or even ethical extension of the field, my initial credentials to be impressive, etc? This when they are supposed to be colleagues? I saw an opportunity to point out a potential pot/kettle dynamic, and took it, even as I ultimately appealed to a higher vision of cooperation. Now you'd take me to task for doing so? Sorry it didn't work for you.

I worked my ass off to get here too. I didn't make the decision lightly, and I made sure the values I'd be supporting in paying for this education were worthy of the sacrifice. I and others at my school may not have gotten into the kind of scientist practitioner program you (and by you I mean you and others who've contributed to the thread so far) got into, but that does not mean we were ever interested in solving the same problems as you, that the problems we are interested in are less deserving of doctoral level interventions, or that the problems we are interested in would be better served by someone with your training. I'd like to believe you're (all) interested in talking about a shared vision, but mostly what I keep reading is how I'm part of psychology's problem. I've seen it before, and I expect a real snarky reference to Kumbaya any time now. Ho bloody hum...

Last edited:
I'll weigh in. Plenty of good folk go through professional schools and pay up the nose for their education. Could some of those students hack it in a PhD clinical program? Yes. Can all? Most certainly not.

I almost went to a professional school. I was uninformed and wanted to stay in my hometown (think one of the major metropolises). In the end I didn't, because I received a funded offer and realized how much money I'd save going there instead. But not everyone is so fortunate.

It's tough out there. I've networked and worked my butt off to get where I am, and I'm now in a reasonable position to succeed in the field. However, the funded program I went to was not tier 1 or even tier 2...so even I had to overcome the school's reputation while working towards the path I'm on. In the end it worked out, but there were many times I was competing against the top notch students from top notch programs. You can see how much tougher it'd be going in with "Wright" or "Argosy" or even "Alliant" on your CV. I personally wouldn't give as much weight to those folks, simply because there are so many people out there and not a lot of job opportunities. Would I hire an Alliant student for a postdoc or job position? Yes. But they would individually have to shine, perhaps much more than someone who came from University of Kansas or such, because of the hard fact that most for-profit schools charge substantial amounts of money for a subpar experience.

I cannot recommend that anyone attend these schools. But I do acknowledge that plenty of qualified people are in them, perhaps due to location limitation or misinformation or bad luck. And best of luck to those of you are in such a situation.

Buzzwordsoldier, can I ask you what you think that a PsyD program offers that is unique and, for some people, better than a balanced PhD science-practitioner model? I understand that PsyD programs made sense when they were created, but now there are plenty of programs that offer great clinical training and aren't just out to produce researchers/academics. So what is the purpose of the PsyD now? I am not trying to be snarky, I am genuinely wondering how you feel about this.