Where else should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTG4166

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I posted this on another forum, but I really need help

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'll make it short. I am 24, and just got my first MCAT score back Tuesday. I don't know where to apply, and know I'm at a disadvantage applying this late. Here's my stats

GA resident
2 years at Tufts- GPA 3.3
2 years at UNC-CH (major psychology) 3.85, Phi Beta Kappa
1 year post-bacc 4.0
37Q MCAT without taking Organic (I'm in it now)

Done shadowing and volunteering, with a little lab exposure as well

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Members don't see this ad.

alexrgross

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apply next year, you will only hurt yourself applying now.
With those stats, I would apply to low tier schools.

Reaction score
It would help if you could tell us your AMCAS cGPA and BCPM. If you haven't figured them out, use this to help:
AMCAS grade conversion guide: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2009conversionguide.pdf
AMCAS GPA calculator: http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%20GPA_Calculator%20Version%204%20Final.xls

Other considerations in deciding where to apply are your ECs. Are they really sufficient to apply at this time, or do you need to beef up some areas. It would help to have more detail:

How many months and total hours of clinical experience.
Hours of shadowing, and types of docs.
Months of research.
Leadership or Teaching?
Nonmedical community service?
Anything unique about you? Hobbies, sports, artisitic endeavors?

And are your LORs lined up and ready to go?

You are already past the deadlines for anumber of schools, and won't be able to apply there. It will take 5-6 weeks for AMCAS verification at this time of the year. Yes, it's late in the cycle, but possibly your high MCAT score will catch adcomms' attention so they'll give you a shot. Be aware though, that you are likely to get the most attention from schools less selective than those you might have aspired to. If that's fine with you, and you can give the above details requested, it will be easier to guide you on school choices.

Members don't see this ad :)

LTG4166

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Catalystik, Thanks for the info! I calculated my AMCAS cGPA and BCPM GPA and it is as follows:

Cum: 3.67
BCPM: 3.78 , but I do not have my grades for Orgo yet (heading for an A)
MCAT : 37 Q

However, there is an extremely strong upward trend in my grades, and I have all A's since coming back to school as a post-bac student.

I have shadowed two doctors, one of them weekly for 6 months who wrote a rec letter for me. I have been volunteering in a hospital for over a year, and doing research for 2 semesters. I was a TA for gen chem for one semester, and have experience volunteering with children through Big Brothers and through teaching swim lessons, I was a D3 varsity swimmer my first 2 years of school.

How does my application look? As a post-bac student I have very, very little guidance and I'm pretty much doing this on my own through hearsay.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!:)

LTG4166

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh , also, I wanted to include that I had my AMCAS application ready before the MCAT came out, so it was submitted in late september. Now that deadlines have passed, I was wondering if I could turn this more into a "What are my chances" thread . Here is my list

Med College of GA (resident)
Indiana University (did post-bac there, family ties)
Loyola Chicago
Kentucky
Med College WI
Med College NY
Vanderbilt
Dartmouth
Vermont (1st choice)

Thanks again for anyone who reads this, feel free to message me if you want to pick my brain about anything

Reaction score
Hi Catalystik, Thanks for the info! I calculated my AMCAS cGPA and BCPM GPA and it is as follows:

Cum: 3.67
BCPM: 3.78 , but I do not have my grades for Orgo yet (heading for an A)
MCAT : 37 Q

However, there is an extremely strong upward trend in my grades, and I have all A's since coming back to school as a post-bac student.

I have shadowed two doctors, one of them weekly for 6 months who wrote a rec letter for me. I have been volunteering in a hospital for over a year, and doing research for 2 semesters. I was a TA for gen chem for one semester, and have experience volunteering with children through Big Brothers and through teaching swim lessons, I was a D3 varsity swimmer my first 2 years of school.

How does my application look? As a post-bac student I have very, very little guidance and I'm pretty much doing this on my own through hearsay.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!:)
I think your application looks pretty good. Your cGPA came out better than I'd hoped for. I'll answer your school specific post after I consider the selectivity of the schools you mention.

Reaction score
Med College of GA (resident)
Indiana University (did post-bac there, family ties)
Loyola Chicago
Kentucky
Med College WI
Med College NY
Vanderbilt
Dartmouth
Vermont (1st choice)

Thanks again for anyone who reads this, feel free to message me if you want to pick my brain about anything
When were you complete at each school (Secondary and all supplemental materials returned)?

I would have suggested you apply to more schools, considering the lateness of the cycle, but with such good numbers and decent ECs, hopefully you'll have a successful season, regardless. I do hope you are continuing to engage in gaining clinical experience and some other pertinent ECs for the sake of update letters and interview conversations.

School specific comments:
Loyola-chances there may depend on the duration and intensity of your nonmedical community service.
Vanderbilt and Dartmouth probably prefer to see more research than a year's worth, though possibly publication or a substantive experience (lots of automy, own project, etc) may compensate.
I think you should have a good chance at MCG, Wisc (any ties there?), NYMC, Kentucky, and Vermont, and maybe Indiana if they like your "ties".

Any responses yet?

LTG4166

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Catalystik. Thanks so much for the feedback! I have not heard back from any schools yet, but I was complete only a few weeks ago for most. I know the lateness will definitely be a factor, but really I was not planning to apply until next year . I was considering throwing in a couple more applications now, and doing their 2ndaries immediately.

Is it worth applying somewhere else now, or am I just throwing money away?

Reaction score
Sometimes late applications work out if you have great numbers. If you add more they should not be reach schools though. And many deadlines have already passed, so keep an eye on that factor. I'm not encouraging you, mind, just saying that in your case it might not be a complete waste of money.

LTG4166

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rejected from Vanderbilt last night. Very quick, very impersonal :-/ O well. Kentucky wants to schedule an interview :). One up, one down