Where/how to start: Forensic neuropsychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroWise

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
'Sup peeps,

I am continually thinking about the "next steps" in my clinical neuropsychology training, and I want to know more about the possibility/feasibility of supplementing my research career with forensic work. Unfortunately, my training to date rarely (if ever) touches upon the logistical aspects of these topics because I am surrounded by academics who have little experience in non-academic clinical neuropsychological practice.

I have a general understanding of what a forensic clinical neuropsychologist may be asked to do, but I do not know how someone goes about finding this type of work. Hom (2003) reports that the neuropsychologist primarily receives referrals from attorneys (duh) and neurology groups, but he does not describe how to get to the point of receiving such a referral. Does the new forensic clinical neuropsychologist loiter around a court house and hand out their business card and CV or do they send this type of info to law offices preemptively? I also imagine that board certification is a virtual necessity to get a look from an attorney on the hunt for a neuropsychologist, but what other qualifications/experiences are needed?

To close, any and all information you can impart is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
'Sup peeps,

I am continually thinking about the "next steps" in my clinical neuropsychology training, and I want to know more about the possibility/feasibility of supplementing my research career with forensic work. Unfortunately, my training to date rarely (if ever) touches upon the logistical aspects of these topics because I am surrounded by academics who have little experience in non-academic clinical neuropsychological practice.

I have a general understanding of what a forensic clinical neuropsychologist may be asked to do, but I do not know how someone goes about finding this type of work. Hom (2003) reports that the neuropsychologist primarily receives referrals from attorneys (duh) and neurology groups, but he does not describe how to get to the point of receiving such a referral. Does the new forensic clinical neuropsychologist loiter around a court house and hand out their business card and CV or do they send this type of info to law offices preemptively? I also imagine that board certification is a virtual necessity to get a look from an attorney on the hunt for a neuropsychologist, but what other qualifications/experiences are needed?

To close, any and all information you can impart is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I would think IMEs would be the easiest way to deep your feet into forensic issues. Its not really hard to credential with companies that contract IMEs. Look into BHM, Dane street, Exam Coordinators Network, your local worker comp health management entity.

Reactions: 1 user
I would think IMEs would be the easiest way to deep your feet into forensic issues. Its not really hard to credential with companies that contract IMEs. Look into BHM, Dane street, Exam Coordinators Network, your local worker comp health management entity.

I have only heard terrible things about Dane Street. There are multiple threads on npsych listservs about their shady business practices and failure to pay. I have yet to see a boarded npsych say anything positive about them.

Are you doing clinical work regularly? And, are you planning on getting boarded through ABPP? Also, do you know anyone personally who is currently doing npsych IME/forensic type work?

Yes, I am regularly doing clinical work. I will go on internship this year at a site with a neuro track (i.e., adheres to Houston guidelines) and then pursue a neuro postdoc. While my primary career goal is in research at an AMC or research university, I want to board so the postdoc will (hopefully) be structured in such a way that I can prepare for that as well. One of my dissertation committee members does occasional forensic work, but it is only like one case a month and h/she refuses to actually go to court. As I understand it, h/she does case/file review and writes a report. . . I think.

1) Bluntly: you are asking how to become a competitor for some of the most lucrative work in the field.
2) You will absolutely need forensic training. There is a VERY significant difference in approach. This is not something you can wing.
3) There are many ways to get referrals, but the best is to create a name as an established and reputable clinical neuropsychologist. The referrals come to you, you don't seek them out. The only reason I got to where I am is that I had multiple positions in my city so when attorneys called around, my name was usually around.

Reactions: 3 users
1) Bluntly: you are asking how to become a competitor for some of the most lucrative work in the field.
2) You will absolutely need forensic training. There is a VERY significant difference in approach. This is not something you can wing.
3) There are many ways to get referrals, but the best is to create a name as an established and reputable clinical neuropsychologist. The referrals come to you, you don't seek them out. The only reason I got to where I am is that I had multiple positions in my city so when attorneys called around, my name was usually around.

Feeling salty, PSYDR?

I'll respond to each of your points in turn.

1) Damn right I am asking how to become a competitor in this field.
2) I agree that I will need forensic training hence the original post requesting assistance in obtaining it. Nothing I have written suggests that I want to "wing" it. In fact, my desire to seek board certification and training from individuals who have done this speaks to my understanding of the difficult nature of the work.
3) While generic, this response was the most helpful. Thanks.

Feeling salty, PSYDR?

Not salty at all. I am pointing things out from both sides because I've been on both. I understand why you asked what you asked. I also understand why most won't give you an easy answer. Thought having that information might help you.

I have only heard terrible things about Dane Street. There are multiple threads on npsych listservs about their shady business practices and failure to pay. I have yet to see a boarded npsych say anything positive about them.

Good to know. I am only involved in anything forensic (civil only) marginally.

It's strange though because I have done a lot of review work for various companies and they always want me to do IME work too-which I have always refused on the grounds that I am on unqualified and not particularly interested.

I know a neuropsychologist who got a job at a State Hospital and was able to gain significant forensic training. Eventually, he went on to start his own private practice using the attorney contacts he had made at the hospital. I know another neuropsychologist who got a job working with an already established forensic psychologist and eventually took over the practice. Don't know that the latter option is feasible for most, but I would say the State Hospital route would be a good one.