Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaCo3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have:
3.1 sgpa
3.3 cgpa
34mcat
decent extracurricular mostly focused around fraternity leadership and heavy clinical experience (work, volunteering, and shadowing)
I didn't really get too into research so I'm sorry to say I have little to no experience.
I also go to a top 3 California university if that even matters.

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply to ANY DO school with that MCAT... 10-12 schools should be enough IMO.

Yeah you're fine for DO as long as you have experience with a DO/DO letter. Research isn't a big deal for most schools if you're not doing DO/PhD. You may have a shot at some MD schools too depending on where you live (Cali would be tough though)

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine anywhere. We'll take you in a heartbeat

I have:
3.1 sgpa
3.3 cgpa
34mcat
decent extracurricular mostly focused around fraternity leadership and heavy clinical experience (work, volunteering, and shadowing)
I didn't really get too into research so I'm sorry to say I have little to no experience.
I also go to a top 3 California university if that even matters.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey thanks everyone, but seriously, what are some schools I should be looking at in specific?

Hey thanks everyone, but seriously, what are some schools I should be looking at in specific?

An ADCOM just told you his school would take you in a heartbeat. I would start by adding his school first.

Get the list of all DO schools and take out the places that have GPA cut offs and are located in areas you wouldn't want to live.

If you live in California you want to start with the 2 instate schools, Touro CA and WesternU.

Then you have the ones in Arizona, ATSU-SOMA and AZCOM if you want to stay close to California. Nevada has TouroNV.

So far the only school I can think of that has a GPA cutoff is KCUMB at 3.25

Download this: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

Go through the schools and see what you like.

anywhere except CCOM KCUMB or regionally biased schools

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Of the east coast schools, NSU, PCOM, UNECOM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you did a post-bac and raise your GPA to like a 3.5-3.7 , you can easily be competitive for MD schools.

I agree with everyone also, you're basically a shoe in. But I just wanted to pose something: is the 34 mcat score that flashy enough to overlook a 3.1 cgpa?

I agree with everyone also, you're basically a shoe in. But I just wanted to pose something: is the 34 mcat score that flashy enough to overlook a 3.1 cgpa?

Yes.

Reactions: 1 user
You would be fine even with a 27!

You would be fine even with a 27!

True. But people were saying OP was a shoe in or that schools would take him/her in a "heartbeat"...I don't know if a 27 would merit such a response. I think the 34 is truly astounding!

Probably too many units to get there from 3.1.
3.3 cGPA, with 2 years post-bacc at 4.0 would take him to 3.5ish. Making some assumptions on number of units though. It's still not a guarantee and OP may be better served with enrolling and consequently becoming a physician sooner rather than later.

OP looks safe from any cutoffs unless I am overlooking something.

True. But people were saying OP was a shoe in or that schools would take him/her in a "heartbeat"...I don't know if a 27 would merit such a response. I think the 34 is truly astounding!

Have you ever seen Kung Pow? There is a character who was improperly trained in Kung Fu purely as a joke. I'd like to believe User3 is the SDN counterpart.

User3, I'm totally ribbing you. You've helped out a lot of UDs.