• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Where should I apply?

NaCo3

Feb 11, 2013
  1. Pre-Medical
    I have:
    3.1 sgpa
    3.3 cgpa
    34mcat
    decent extracurricular mostly focused around fraternity leadership and heavy clinical experience (work, volunteering, and shadowing)
    I didn't really get too into research so I'm sorry to say I have little to no experience.
    I also go to a top 3 California university if that even matters.

WhiteCoatSyndrome

5+ Year Member
    Jul 11, 2010
    1. Medical Student
      Yeah you're fine for DO as long as you have experience with a DO/DO letter. Research isn't a big deal for most schools if you're not doing DO/PhD. You may have a shot at some MD schools too depending on where you live (Cali would be tough though)

About the Ads

Goro

Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        You're fine anywhere. We'll take you in a heartbeat

I have:
        3.1 sgpa
        3.3 cgpa
        34mcat
        decent extracurricular mostly focused around fraternity leadership and heavy clinical experience (work, volunteering, and shadowing)
        I didn't really get too into research so I'm sorry to say I have little to no experience.
        I also go to a top 3 California university if that even matters.

Reactions: 1 user

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
        Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        Oct 5, 2007
        Midwest, USA
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Hey thanks everyone, but seriously, what are some schools I should be looking at in specific?

An ADCOM just told you his school would take you in a heartbeat. I would start by adding his school first.

Get the list of all DO schools and take out the places that have GPA cut offs and are located in areas you wouldn't want to live.

If you live in California you want to start with the 2 instate schools, Touro CA and WesternU.

Then you have the ones in Arizona, ATSU-SOMA and AZCOM if you want to stay close to California. Nevada has TouroNV.

So far the only school I can think of that has a GPA cutoff is KCUMB at 3.25

Download this: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

Go through the schools and see what you like.

NuttyEngDude

Red-Flagville
          10+ Year Member
          Oct 28, 2010
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Probably too many units to get there from 3.1.
            3.3 cGPA, with 2 years post-bacc at 4.0 would take him to 3.5ish. Making some assumptions on number of units though. It's still not a guarantee and OP may be better served with enrolling and consequently becoming a physician sooner rather than later.

OP looks safe from any cutoffs unless I am overlooking something.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
            Moderator Emeritus
            10+ Year Member
            Oct 5, 2007
            Midwest, USA
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              True. But people were saying OP was a shoe in or that schools would take him/her in a "heartbeat"...I don't know if a 27 would merit such a response. I think the 34 is truly astounding!

Have you ever seen Kung Pow? There is a character who was improperly trained in Kung Fu purely as a joke. I'd like to believe User3 is the SDN counterpart.

User3, I'm totally ribbing you. You've helped out a lot of UDs.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.