Where should I apply???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HAL9001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

MS4 here. 220 step 1. Waiting on step 2 (estimating ~230). Lower third rank of my class (due to low shelf scores) from a top 40 school. Honors in anesthesia (if that counts for anything) + 1 other rotation. 3 high pass. 3 pass. Dean's letter emphasizes bad test taker but hard worker, excellent evals on wards from attendings/residents, great people skills/personality/team player, adored by patients, etc.

…but… heavy anesthesia interest/experience early on in med school: president of the anesthesia interest group and ASA delegate for my school's anesthesia dept. Decent research (2 publications, 2 on the way, 7 poster presentations). Well liked in the department and assured good letters from P.D. and 2 other nationally recognized anesthesia attendings. Solid extracurriculars (volunteer, med school interviewer).

I know I'm probably out of the running for top programs but nonetheless feel like I still have a shot at middle, yet solid and reputable programs with strong access to a fellowship. Am I safe to assume this?

Recommendation of programs I should apply would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah you're solid for midtier programs imo. Top tier are probably out of reach; it's the same people over and over at those interviews. Doesn't hurt to shoot high but there are really solid programs out there like Rochester where you have a good chance.

Consider NOT applying for an anesthesiology residency; you'll thank me later.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

giphy.gif

Reactions: 5 users

Reasons??? IM is my second choice should I not pursue anesthesia.

Last edited:
Yeah you're solid for midtier programs imo. Top tier are probably out of reach; it's the same people over and over at those interviews. Doesn't hurt to shoot high but there are really solid programs out there like Rochester where you have a good chance.

That's good news! Any other recs in addition to Rochester?

Reasons??? IM is my second choice should I lot pursue anesthesia.
Too numerous to mention; you're better off doing an IM residency then pursuing a GI or Cards fellowship.

Beat that dead horse all you want; once CRNAs are allowed to practice independently at the VA, you'll see the downward spiral increase.
Thank You
Dear Colleagues-

Thank you to each and every member who commented on the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) proposed rule “Advanced Practice Registered Nurses” during the 60 day comment period that closed last night. Due to your outstanding advocacy, an estimated two-thirds of the more than 165,000 comments submitted to the Federal Register were in support of maintaining physician-led anesthesia care in VA. This will send a strong message to VA that our Veterans deserve the best quality care.

While we are still continuing to review the comments and participation records, one thing is clear: ASA members have reached a record level of advocacy for patient safety. With the support of medical organizations, Veterans’ organizations, and a bipartisan group of members of Congress, our efforts have made a tremendous impact on this policy proposal. VA’s proposed policy attracted an unprecedented outpouring from the public, a record for VA-related issues as well as a record for the most comments posted to the Federal Register in 2016.

This comment period has showed that Americans understand that it would be wrong to lower the standard of care provided to these men and women who have bravely served our country. We expect the VA will listen to the comments of Veterans, their families and the American public who care about the quality of health care in the VA system and abandon this dangerous proposal that runs counter to the VA’s own strategy to deliver high-quality, Veteran-centered care.

http://www.asahq.org/advocacy/fda-and-washington-alerts/washington-alerts/2016/07/thank-you

aana's spin: http://www.aana.com/newsandjournal/...posal-to-Improve-Veterans-Access-to-Care.aspx

For Immediate Release
July 28, 2016
A search of the regulations.gov database of letters to the VA after the comment period closed revealed the following numbers: 86,381 letters used the phrase “veteran support,” nearly three times more than the 31,802 letters that used the phrase “veteran oppose.”

1. “It is unfortunate that some physician groups were so desperate at the end of the comment period that they sent waves of form letters opposing the rule in a vain attempt to pad the final tally to their advantage. These efforts still came up short,” Quintana said. “It’s well known that in the final count these types of impersonal letters get lumped together and viewed as a singular response from a special interest group, rather than as a unique or sincere comment about the issue at hand.”

aana's spin: http://www.aana.com/newsandjournal/...posal-to-Improve-Veterans-Access-to-Care.aspx

For Immediate Release
July 28, 2016
A search of the regulations.gov database of letters to the VA after the comment period closed revealed the following numbers: 86,381 letters used the phrase “veteran support,” nearly three times more than the 31,802 letters that used the phrase “veteran oppose.”

1. “It is unfortunate that some physician groups were so desperate at the end of the comment period that they sent waves of form letters opposing the rule in a vain attempt to pad the final tally to their advantage. These efforts still came up short,” Quintana said. “It’s well known that in the final count these types of impersonal letters get lumped together and viewed as a singular response from a special interest group, rather than as a unique or sincere comment about the issue at hand.”

AANA is shameless...

Thank You
Dear Colleagues-

Thank you to each and every member who commented on the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) proposed rule “Advanced Practice Registered Nurses” during the 60 day comment period that closed last night. Due to your outstanding advocacy, an estimated two-thirds of the more than 165,000 comments submitted to the Federal Register were in support of maintaining physician-led anesthesia care in VA. This will send a strong message to VA that our Veterans deserve the best quality care.

While we are still continuing to review the comments and participation records, one thing is clear: ASA members have reached a record level of advocacy for patient safety. With the support of medical organizations, Veterans’ organizations, and a bipartisan group of members of Congress, our efforts have made a tremendous impact on this policy proposal. VA’s proposed policy attracted an unprecedented outpouring from the public, a record for VA-related issues as well as a record for the most comments posted to the Federal Register in 2016.

This comment period has showed that Americans understand that it would be wrong to lower the standard of care provided to these men and women who have bravely served our country. We expect the VA will listen to the comments of Veterans, their families and the American public who care about the quality of health care in the VA system and abandon this dangerous proposal that runs counter to the VA’s own strategy to deliver high-quality, Veteran-centered care.

http://www.asahq.org/advocacy/fda-and-washington-alerts/washington-alerts/2016/07/thank-you
That's great and all but it won't make one iota of difference. CRNA independence was a foregone conclusion.

That's great and all but it won't make one iota of difference. CRNA independence was a foregone conclusion.

Keep fighting. Make them work for every inch.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe you find them less insulting? Or maybe you don't think that our standing as physicians is worth fighting for?

How about all the veterans who support it go to a veterans-supported-only VA hospital staffed solely by CRNAs, no anesthesiologists. And they cannot under any circumstances whatsoever consult an anesthesiologist. See what happens.

How about all the veterans who support it go to a veterans-supported-only VA hospital staffed solely by CRNAs, no anesthesiologists. And they cannot under any circumstances whatsoever consult an anesthesiologist. See what happens.
They wanted that so I guess I feel less bad?

Last edited:
Beat that dead horse all you want; once CRNAs are allowed to practice independently at the VA, you'll see the downward spiral increase.

If the nursing handbook passes, we'll see a huge natural experiment in the "desirability" of anesthesiology from the perspective of M4 applicants.

Reactions: 1 users

the problem is that anesthesiologists won't walk away from the VA (as they should) to allow the CRNAs to sit in their own ****. CRNAs will continue to benefit from "firefighter" backup (what physician is going stand back and watch a patient die when they could intervene to help?), all the while claiming this as further proof of equivalence.

the problem is that anesthesiologists won't walk away from the VA (as they should) to allow the CRNAs to sit in their own ****. CRNAs will continue to benefit from "firefighter" backup (what physician is going stand back and watch a patient die when they could intervene to help?), all the while claiming this as further proof of equivalence.

They do go through this process every year at the VA....I imagine they will just keep bringing it up year after year until it passes.

Last edited: